|Puyallup School Board, Position 4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||August 6, 2013|
|Bachelor's||Michigan State University|
|Master's||University of Chicago|
|Ph.D.||University of Illinois|
Silver earned a B.S. in Microbiology from Michigan State University. She later earned a M.S. in Pharmacology and Physiology from the University of Chicago and a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from the University of Illinois. Silver is currently a neuroscientist specializing in learning and memory with McCartney and Associates. She and her husband, Ross, have two children who graduated from district schools
|Puyallup School Board, Position 4, August 6 Primary, 2013|
|Source: Pierce County Elections|
Silver reported no contributions or expenditures to the Washington Public Disclosure Commission.
Silver provided the following statement for the Local Voters' Pamphlet published by Pierce County:
"I've been fortunate to work with all class levels and in all of the Puyallup schools, employed as a health and reading screener and as a volunteer, to see what tools would work to help all our children reach their full potential. For example, we need to tap into the vast potential volunteer pool that has not been accessed, improve our graduation rate by reaching out to disenfranchised students, revamp the Culminating Project process to become more useful, and encourage high school students to obtain college credit."
What's at stake?
Incumbent Pat Donovan is running for a second full term in Position 1 against Noreen Wolfe. The Position 4 race includes Kathy Yang and Karen Edwards, who advanced from the August 6th primary against third-place finisher Silver.
The district cut overall expenditures by $1.7 million from 2011 to 2012 while enrollment only decreased by 0.5% in those years. In the District 4 primary, Yang, Edwards and Silver discussed the need for additional funding to anticipate enrollment growth. In February 2013, voters in Puyallup School District failed to pass the 60% threshold for a new bond worth $279.6 million.
About the district
- See also: Puyallup School District, Washington
Puyallup lags behind the state averages for higher education achievement while outperforming averages for median income and poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (22.4%) is below the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Puyallup's median income at $61,099 while the state median income was $58,890. Puyallup had a poverty rate of 9.1% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Margie + Silver + Puyallup + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Washington school districts
- Puyallup School District, Washington
- Puyallup School District elections (2013)
- Citizens for Margie Silver, "Home," Accessed August 15, 2013
- Pierce County Elections, "August 6, 2013 Primary Election Results," Accessed August 15, 2013
- Washington Public Disclosure Commission, "Local Candidates," Accessed December 17, 2013
- Pierce County Elections, "Local Voters' Pamphlet," Accessed August 15, 2013
- The News Tribune, "3 moms want seat on Puyallup School Board," July 23, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Puyallup," Accessed August 14, 2013
- Pierce County Elections, "Archived Elections," Accessed August 5, 2013