|San Francisco Board of Supervisors, District 2|
|January 2011 - Present|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Loyola Marymount University|
|Master's||University College Dublin|
|J.D.||University of Pennsylvania|
|Place of birth||San Francisco, California|
Farrell was born in San Francisco. He holds a B.A. from Loyola Marymount University, an M.A. from University College Dublin and a J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. His professional experience includes working as a Corporate and Securities Attorney.
On his campaign website, Farrell highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "When I was first elected in 2010, we were enduring the aftermath of the Great Recession and unemployment citywide was staggeringly high – above 10%. When I ran in 2010, I pledged to use my private sector background and experience to help turn our local economy around and put people back to work. During my time in office, I’ve helped pass and advance legislation and policies to do just that. Now, we have a local economy that is diverse and thriving and one that is the number one county in the country for job creation."
- Excerpt: "It is my absolute honor to represent the neighborhoods of District 2 at the Board of Supervisors, which I grew up in and now choose to raise my family in. The constituents of District 2 and the best interests of San Francisco are always at the forefront of my mind while making decisions that have real impacts on our everyday lives."
- Excerpt: "The cost of living, housing, and our City’s affordability is a top priority to ensure we maintain the diversity and neighborhood character which makes San Francisco unique. Years of slow housing development has led to a significant supply/demand imbalance, and moving forward we need to promote additional housing supply that meets the needs of all income levels."
- Excerpt: "Homelessness has been a problem in San Francisco for generations. For the past 10-years our City’s homeless population numbers have remained the same, and it has affected all of our City’s neighborhoods, residents, and visitors in so many ways. It affects San Franciscans in many ways – as a civic pride issue, as a public safety issue, but ultimately this is a human issue, as these are sons, daughters, mothers and fathers on our streets, and I believe we need to do everything possible to house these individuals, and within City Hall focus greater attention on the issue. I have made this issue a top priority at the Board, advancing solutions to get more people off our streets."
- Excerpt: "Unfortunately, we know from recent Census data that San Francisco has the lowest percentage of children of any major city in our country. As a father of three young children, I have made it a top priority of my office to advance policies and projects that help to make San Francisco a more desirable place for families to live and raise their family in. Creating a city that is welcoming and encouraging to families will reap positive benefits for San Francisco for years to come."
- Excerpt: "Public safety is a top concern of residents citywide, and I have made it a priority to be a fierce advocate for public safety enhancing policies, as well as securing the necessary funds to ensure that we have adequate first responders on staff."
- Excerpt: "San Francisco has been at the forefront of supporting and advancing policies aimed at enhancing and preserving our environment for generations to come. In one of the most environmentally conscious cities in the world, I have advanced government programs that incentivize renewable and energy efficient options while also creating new green jobs in the emerging clean energy economy."
|San Francisco Board of Supervisors, District 2, 2014|
|Mark Farrell Incumbent||78.6%||15,546|
|Source: San Francisco Board of Elections - Official 2014 election results|
In 2014, Farrell's endorsements included the following:
- U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein
- Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom
- Mayor Edwin M. Lee
- Assessor/Recorder Carmen Chu
- Treasurer/Tax Collector Jose Cisneros
- District Attorney George Gascon
- Public Defender Jeff Adachi
- San Francisco's Democratic County Central Committee
- San Francisco Republican Party
- Alice B. Toklas Democratic Club
- Asian Pacific Democratic Club
- Raoul Wallenberg Jewish Democratic Club
- San Francisco Women's Political Committee
- SF Moderates
- FDR Democratic Club
- San Francisco Young Democrats
- Richmond District Democratic Club
- Westside Chinese Democratic Club
- Irish American Democratic Club
- California Nurses Association
- Alliance for Jobs and Sustainable Growth
- Building Owners and Managers Association
- IBEW Local 1245
- International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers (IFTPE Local 21)
- LiUNA! Local 261
- OPEIU Local 3
- San Francisco Building and Construction Trades Council
- San Francisco Local Firefighters Local 798San Francisco Police Officers Association
- Small Property Owners Association
- San Francisco Carpenters Local 22
- San Francisco Labor Council
- Sheet Metal Workers' Local Union No. 104
- UA Local 38
- United Educators of San Francisco
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mark + Farrell + San Francisco"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- San Francisco, California
- San Francisco, California Board of Supervisors elections, 2014
- United States municipal elections, 2014
- San Francisco Board of Supervisors, "District 2," accessed on December 1, 2014
- Mark Farrell, "Issues," accessed on September 30, 2014
- City of San Francisco, "Official candidate list,"
- San Francisco Board of Elections, "2014 Unofficial General Election Results," accessed on November 4, 2014
- Mark Farrell, "Endorsements," accessed on September 30, 2014
|San Francisco Board of Supervisors, District 2
| Succeeded by|
State of California
|Ballot measures by year||
1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1919 | 1920 | 1922 | 1924 | 1926 | 1928 | 1930 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1942 | 1944 | 1946 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | 1952 | 1954 | 1956 | 1958 | 1960 | 1962 | 1964 | 1966 | 1968 | 1970 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1976 | 1978 | 1980 | 1982 | 1984 | 1986 | 1988 | 1990 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1996 | 1998 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2006 (local) | 2008 | 2008 (local) | 2009 | 2009 (local) | 2010 | 2010 (local) | 2011 (local) | 2012 | 2012 (local) | 2014 |
|State executive offices||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary for Natural Resources | Director of Industrial Relations | President of Public Utilities |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
California school districts A - L |
California school districts M - Z |