|Kansas House of Representatives District 87|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||Wichita State University|
|J.D.||Washburn University School of Law|
Kahrs earned his J.D. from the Washburn University School of Law. His professional experience includes owning his own law practice.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Kahrs served on the following committees:
|Kansas Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Elections, Chair|
|• Rules and Journal|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Kahrs served on the following committees:
|Kansas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• General Government Budget|
Kahrs' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "To create private sector jobs, government must reduce the tax burden, and eliminate cumbersome and unwarranted regulations so that businesses can operate more economically, efficiently and productively."
- Excerpt: "I will fight for needed tax reform for our small businesses, which would allow them the opportunity to expand their business and add needed jobs."
Limit Government Growth & Spending
- Excerpt: "I am committed to reducing government spending which will keep those dollars invested in our community."
Faith & Family
- Excerpt: "I will fight to protect our right of conscience, and our right to worship freely. I am also committed to protecting life at every stage, from conception to natural death."
Excellence in Education
- Excerpt: "I will support reform measures to ensure the highest level of academic achievement for all Kansas children, and that the dollars invested stay in the classroom."
Elections for the office of Kansas House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Charles Jenney was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Mark Kahrs was unopposed in the Republican primary. Kahrs defeated Jenney in the general election.
|Kansas House of Representatives District 87, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Mark Kahrs Incumbent||60.9%||4,954|
Kahrs won election in the 2012 election for Kansas House of Representatives District 87. He was unopposed in the August 7 Republican primary and defeated Chris Florquist (D) and Santana Marie Talbert (L) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 87, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Mark Kahrs Incumbent||62.4%||5,939|
|Libertarian||Santana Marie Talbert||4.6%||440|
Comprehensive donor information for Kahrs is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Kahrs raised a total of $65,614 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 20, 2013.
|Mark Kahrs's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Kansas State House, District 87||$65,614|
|Grand Total Raised||$65,614|
2012Kahrs won election to the Kansas House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Kahrs raised a total of $65,614.
|Kansas House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Mark Kahrs's campaign in 2012|
|Kansas Chamber of Commerce & Industry||$1,127|
|Tiger Financial Management||$1,000|
|Taylor, Daniel J||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$65,614|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Kansas Freedom Index
The Kansas Policy Institute, Kansas’s "first free market think tank," releases its legislator scorecard as a part of its Kansas Freedom Index for Kansas state representatives and senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score from 1%-100% based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Kansas Policy Institute thought were pro-limited government policies.
Mark Kahrs received a score of 77.0% in the 2013 index.
Kahrs and his wife, Sherri, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mark + Kahrs + Kansas + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kansas House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Kansas state legislative districts
- Kansas State Legislature
- Rep. Kahrs' website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- "kahrsforkansas," Official Campaign Website
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed September 15, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2014 General Election Official Vote Totals," accessed December 8, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 General Election - Official Vote Totals," accessed March 31, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Kahrs, Mark," accessed June 20, 2013
- Kansas Policy Institute, "Freedom Index," accessed March 31, 2014
- Ballotpedia, "2013 Kansas Policy Index," accessed March 10, 2015
Joseph Scapa (R)
|Kansas House of Representatives District 87
| Succeeded by|
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |