|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
|South Dakota House of Representatives, District 24|
|2011 - 2013|
|Bachelor's||University of South Dakota, 1972|
|Master's||University of Florida, 1986 |
University of South Dakota, 1974
|Birthday||September 16, 1950|
|Place of birth||Pierre, South Dakota|
Venner earned his B.S. in Engineering and M.Ed. from the University of South Dakota, and his M.S. in Engineering from the University of Florida. He spent two years teaching before entering the United States Air Force in 1975. Venner served in the Air Force for 20 years, during which time he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. When he transitioned back into civilian life, he became the owner of Venner Farm.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Venner served on the following committees:
- Education Committee, South Dakota House of Representatives
- Local Government Committee, South Dakota House of Representatives
Elections for the office of South Dakota House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on June 3, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Thomas Scheinost is unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbents Mary Duvall and Tim Rounds will face Mark Venner in the Republican primary.
Venner ran in the 2012 election for South Dakota House of Representatives District 24. Venner was defeated by Mary Duvall and Tim Rounds in the Republican primary on June 5. No Democratic candidates filed for election. The general election took place on November 6, 2012. Incumbent Tad Perry (R) is running for State Senate in District 24.
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 24 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Mark E. Venner Incumbent||30%||2,015|
|South Dakota State House, District 24 (2010)|
|Mark Venner (R)||5,635||36.90%|
|Tad Perry (R)||5,428||35.54%|
|Jodi R Owen (D)||4,209||27.56%|
In 2010, Venner raised $10,722 in contributions.
His three largest contributors were:
|Venner, Mark & Denise||$1,500|
|Hughes County Republican Party C/O Olson||$1,000|
Venner and his wife, Denise, have four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Mark + Venner + South + Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- House website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Project Vote Smart: Representative Mark Eugene Venner Sr
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," March 25, 2014
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 9, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," June 25, 2012
- South Dakota House of Representatives Official General Election Results, 2010
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
Ryan Olson (R), Tim Rounds (R)
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 24
| Succeeded by|
Mary Duvall (R), Tim Rounds (R)