Markey defeats Gomez for Senate seat in Massachusetts special election
Boston, Massachusetts: Rep. Ed Markey defeated political newcomer Gabriel Gomez and Twelve Visions Party nominee Richard Heos in the special election in Massachusetts today. He will fill the Senate seat vacated by John Kerry earlier this year when he was confirmed as U.S. Secretary of State. Markey won with 55 percent of the vote.
On December 21, 2012, President Barack Obama announced that he was nominating Kerry to the position of Secretary of State. On January 30, 2013, Mo Cowan was appointed by Gov. Deval Patrick to fill the vacancy until the special election.
Markey, who has served in the U.S. House since 1976, was the first candidate to announce his intention to run for the Senate seat, and immediately gained the backing of the powerful Democratic establishment, including Kerry and Victoria Kennedy, the wife of the late Sen. Edward Kennedy, as well as President Obama, Michelle Obama, Vice-President Joe Biden, former Vice-President Al Gore and former President Bill Clinton.
Voter turnout for the election, as predicted, was low. Prior to the election, many were predicting turnout to be lower than the 2010 special election that sent Republican Scott Brown to the Senate.
|U.S. Senate, Massachusetts Special General Election, 2013|
|Twelve Visions Party||Richard Heos||0.4%||4,550|
|Source: Election Results from Massachusetts Elections Division|
- United States Senate special election in Massachusetts, 2013
- Former Senator John Kerry
- Massachusetts elections, 2013
- United States Senate
- Special elections to the 113th United States Congress (2013-2014)
- Roll Call, "Markey wins Senate Special Election" accessed June 25, 2013
- WCVB "2013 Mass. U.S. Senate special election results Live" accessed June 25, 2013
- The Washington Post, "John Kerry confirmed as secretary of state," January 29, 2013
- CBS News, "Obama taps John Kerry to be Secretary of State," December 21, 2012
- The New York Times, "Governor Names Longtime Friend to Kerry’s Seat" January 30, 2013
- Washington Post, "Who is Mo Cowan?" January 30, 2013
- The Boston Globe, "William ‘Mo’ Cowan to be interim US senator," January 30, 2013
- Politico, "Joe Biden heading to Massachusetts for Ed Markey" accessed June 20, 2013
- Politico, "Bill Clinton to campaign for Ed Markey" accessed June 13, 2013
- WCVB "Markey, Gomez to face off for US Senate seat" accessed April 30, 2013
- Huffington Post, " Ed Markey Wins Massachusetts Democratic Senate Primary" accessed April 30, 2013
- Boston Globe, "Absentee ballots for Senate election down sharply from 2010" accessed June 24, 2013
- Patriot Ledger, "Low voter turnout expected in Tuesday's U.S. Senate election" accessed June 24, 2013
- Boston Herald, "Markey wins race for U.S. Senate over Gomez" accessed June 25, 2013