Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois State Senate District 34|
|Birthday||September 30, 1961|
|Place of birth||Rockford, Illinois|
|Profession||Owner, Advertising Specialty Creations|
Wilson previously ran for election in the district in the state's November 2, 2010 general election.
Wilson attended Rockford Area Vocational Center in 1979. She has been the owner of Advertising Specialty Creations (ASC) since 1995.
On her 2012 campaign website, Wilson details her position on eight issues. Here are excerpts:
- Job Creation: "Marla is a strong supporter of clean, alternative energy like wind and solar power that lower energy prices, reduces our dependence on foreign oil and create jobs in Illinois that can't be outsourced. Marla believes that one answer to this growing problem is to invest in 21st century technology."
- Budget & Taxes: "Marla opposes a tax increase because she feels that legislators are not accountable for taxpayer dollars. Marla believes there are paths to find new revenue, but not enough cuts have been made. Marla believes legislators need to lead by example and reduce their salaries, and prove to the people that they are not elected for perks, restoring faith in government."
- Pensions: "Marla believes the state needs to look at reducing benefits, and increasing the retirement age for new employees. Marla agrees with the constitutional obligation to keep the promise to current employees and does not believe in reducing benefits."
- Education: "High property taxes are forcing many families to make hard choices. Marla believes we need to shift the burden of school funding off of property taxes with a dollar for dollar swap so that there is no increase in taxes."
- Higher Education: "For years, the state has kept higher education funding flat, while tuition continues to increase. We must do everything to make the cost of college reasonable. If we want young leaders for the future, we have to set them up with resources for success."
- Environment: "We need a serious commitment to Green Collar jobs if we are going to become a more sustainable and more efficient community. Marla wants to lead the endeavor in making the hard-working people of Illinois the back bone of this national effort to become the global leader in Green Collar jobs."
- Healthcare: "Marla believes in preventative our Illinois should provide the best care to its most needy in the most efficient manner. Due to the recession, people are relying on government services more than ever. Those that are uninsured also place a huge burden on the system and we need to address the abusers by increasing efficiency within the program."
- Reform Measures: "She supports allowing voters to recall any corrupt legislator or elected state official, and she supports banning legislators from taking trips paid for by lobbyists and special interests. Marla supports caps for individuals, corporations, unions and political action committees because she thinks it levels the playing field."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Wilson ran in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 34. Wilson lost in the Democratic primary on March 28, 2012. She faced Dan Lewandowski, Steve Stadelman and Glenn Patterson. Incumbent Dave Syverson is not running for re-election in District 34. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate Democratic Primary, 2012|
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2010
Wilson was the winning candidate in the Democratic Primary on February 2, 2010, for Illinois House of Representatives, District 68 with 1,816 votes against Dave Winters. However, Jennifer Cacciapaglia, who won the primary election for Illinois State Senate District 34, decided to end her candidacy in late March 2010. The Democrats named Wilson to take Cacciapaglia's place to run for State Senate in the general election on November 2, 2010.
Wilson lives in Rockford, Illinois with her husband, Eric, and daughter, Allison.
- Wilson's 34th District State Senate campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Friends of Marla Wilson Facebook page
- Marla Wilson on Twitter
- Marla Wilson, "Issues," accessed January 13, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed May 14, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Results," accessed May 15, 2014
- Chicago Tribune, "2010 Election Results
- Democrats name Marla Wilson as new candidate against Syverson, April 8, 2010 (dead link)
- Marla Wilson, "About," accessed January 13, 2012