Martin David Kiar
|Martin David Kiar|
|Florida House of Representatives District 97|
|2006 - 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Palm Beach Atlantic University (1999)|
|J.D.||Nova Southeastern University College of Law (2002)|
|Date of birth||June 19, 1977|
|Place of birth||Pembroke Pines, Florida|
Kiar's professional experience includes working as an Attorney for Monroe D. Kiar and Associates from 2003 to 2004 and for Johnson, Anselmo, Murdock, Burke, George, Public Attorneys from 2002 to 2003.
He is a member of the Broward County DGC, Coral Springs/Parkland Democratic Club, Davie Cooper City Democratic Club, Federal Bar of the Southern District of Florida, Florida Bar Association, Pine Island Ridge Democratic Club and Western Democratic Club.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Kiar served on these committees:
- Subcommittee on Civil Justice
- Subcommittee on K-20 Innovation
- Subcommittee on Pre K-12 Appropriations, Ranking Minority Member
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Kiar served on these committees:
- Education Policy Council
- Government Accountability Act Council
- PreK-12 Appropriations Committee (Ranking Minority Member)
- PreK-12 Policy Committee
Kiar did not provide answers to the Florida State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Kiar's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 115 - "Sexual Offenders and Predators: Encourages all public libraries to implement an Internet safety education program for children and adults; requires sexual offenders & predators to provide home telephone numbers & any cellular telephone numbers as part of registration process"
- HB 219 - "Offenses Against Computer Users: Defines term "spyware;" provides that whoever willfully, knowingly, & without authorization introduces any computer contaminant, including spyware, into any computer, computer system, computer program, or computer network commits offense against computer users; provides criminal penalties"
- HB 1089 - "Local Government: Specifies standards of conduct for officers & employees of entities serving as chief administrative officer of political subdivision; provides for penalties to be imposed against persons other than lobbyists or public officers & employees for violations of Code of Ethics for Public Officers & Employees; provides for Commission on Ethics to report to Governor violations involving persons other than lobbyists or public officers & employees."
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2012
Kiar was running in the 2012 election for Florida State Senate District 34. Kiar was running against incumbent Maria Sachs in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012. Incumbent Ellyn Bogdanoff and Mike Lameyer are running in the Republican primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
Kiar dropped out of the race in order to run for Broward County Commission seat.
On November 4, 2008, Kiar won re-election to the Florida House of Representatives from Florida's 97th District, defeating Todd Goberville (R). Kiar received 40,103 votes in the election while Goberville received 28,871 votes. Kiar raised $241,808 for his campaign; Goberville raised $80,522.
|Florida House of Representatives, District 97|
|Martin David Kiar (D)||40,103||58.1%|
|Todd Goberville (R)||28,871||41.9%|
In 2010, Kiar raised $82,136 in contributions.
His two largest contributors were:
|Hospital Corp Of America||$2,000|
|Broward Teachers Local 1975||$1,500|
Below are Kiar's top five campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Hospital Corporation of America||$4,000|
|Broward Teachers Union||$3,000|
|FL Cable Telecommunications Assoc||$2,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Martin + Kiar + Florida + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida House of Representatives
- Florida House Committees
- Florida state legislative districts
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Martin Kiar on LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed December 18, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Issue positions," accessed December 18, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed April 15, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections, "Official Primary Results," accessed December 18, 2014
- Miami Herald, "Rep. Martin Kiar will seek Broward County Commission seat" accessed August 8, 2012
- Florida Election Watch, "2010 Election results," accessed December 16, 2014
- Florida Department of Elections, "Florida House Official Election Results," November 4, 2008
- Follow the Money, "2008 Contributions," accessed December 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|Florida House of Representatives District 97
| Succeeded by|
Jared E. Moskowitz (D)
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |