Mary Ann Hanusa
|Mary Ann Hanusa|
|Iowa House of Representatives District 16|
|January 10, 2011-Present|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Bachelor's||Concordia Teacher's College|
|Date of birth||May 26, 1963|
|Place of birth||Council Bluffs, IA|
|Profession||Co-owner, Hanusa Hardware and Rental|
Hanusa earned her B.A. from Concordia Teachers College and her M.A. in American History from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. Her professional experience includes working as a school administrator at Abraham Lincoln High School, co-owner of Hanusa Hardware and Rental, President of the Friends of the Union Pacific Railroad Museum and Director of the Office of Presidential Personal Correspondence.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Hanusa served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Economic Growth, Chair|
|• Local Government|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Hanusa served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Economic Growth/Rebuild Iowa, Vice-chair|
|• Veterans Affairs|
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Marti D. Nerenstone was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Mary Ann Hanusa was unopposed in the Republican primary. Nerenstone faced Hanusa in the general election. Incumbent Hanusa defeated Nerenstone in the general election.
|Iowa House of Representatives District 16, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Mary Ann Hanusa Incumbent||61.6%||4,477|
|Democratic||Marti D. Nerenstone||38.4%||2,795|
Hanusa ran in the 2012 election for Iowa House of Representatives District 16. Hanusa ran unopposed in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012, and defeated Heidi Guggisberg-Coners (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 16, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Mary Ann Hanusa Incumbent||57.2%||6,847|
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 99 General Election (2010)|
|Mary Ann Hanusa (R)||3,919|
|Kurt Hubler (D)||3,168|
Comprehensive donor information for Hanusa is available dating back to 2006. Based on available campaign finance records, Hanusa raised a total of $289,427 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Mary Ann Hanusa's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State House, District 16||$47,084|
|2010||Iowa State House, District 99||$151,672|
|2006||Iowa Secretary of State||$90,671|
|Grand Total Raised||$289,427|
2012Hanusa won re-election to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Hanusa raised a total of $47,084.
|Iowa House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Mary Ann Hanusa's campaign in 2012|
|Hawkeye Pac, The||$5,344|
|Associated General Contractors of Iowa||$3,000|
|For Americas Republican Majority Pac||$2,000|
|Iowa Association of Business & Industry||$1,500|
|Iowa Corn Growers Association||$1,500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$47,084|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Hanusa raised $151,672 in contributions.
Her two largest contributors were:
|Iowa Republican Party||$122,047|
|John Deere & Co||$1,500|
Hanusa has a husband, Charlie.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on "their records on constitutional principles and civil liberties."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key conservative issues."
- Legislators are scored on their votes with or against SC's official position.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Mary + Hanusa + Iowa + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa House Committees
- Iowa House of Representatives District 16
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa House of Representatives - Rep. Mary Ann Hanusa
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2006
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- The Des Moines Register, "Election2014," accessed November 4, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed May 15, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed October 1, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Hanusa, Mary Ann," accessed September 19, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 2, 2014
Bob Hager (R)
|Iowa House of Representatives District 16
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa House District 99
| Succeeded by|
Patrick Murphy (D)
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Supreme Court | Judicial Nominating and Qualifications Commission | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |