Mary S. Martin
|Mary S. Martin|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 14|
|Place of birth||Henry County, VA|
Educator Fairness Act
Martin called the Educator Fairness Act, supported by incumbent Delegate Danny Marshall, III, "anything but fair to teachers" and said it neither encouraged teachers to come to the state or made teachers already in Virginia want to stay.
Utility and electricity price increases
According to Martin, the reregulation of Appalachian Power by the legislature in 2007 allowed the utility to dramatically increase electric bills. Martin has testified before the state legislature on this issue, and continues to express concern for those on fixed incomes facing these rising costs.
Conflict of interest rules
Observing that local boards have conflict of interest rules and recusal requirements for issues that might present a conflict of interest, Martin said in her announcement that she was disappointed that no requirement apparently exists at the state legislative level. Martin pledged to work to create stronger conflict of interest rules for the legislature.
Incumbent Danny Marshall, III (R) was first elected to the House of Delegates in 2001, but this district bordering North Carolina split evenly between President Barack Obama (D) and presidential candidate Mitt Romney (R) in 2012, which caused some to speculate about Marshall's chances for re-election ahead of November 2013. Marshall faced cardiologist and Danville Vice Mayor Gary P. Miller (D) and self-described conservative and former local school board member Martin, who criticized Marshall for voting to increase taxes.
- The Martinsville Bulletin, "Martin announces for House," June 13, 2013
- WHTM, "Mary Martin Announces Run for 14th District House of Delegates Seat," June 12, 2013
- Mary Martin - Priscilla's Zine & Bookstore, "Mary Martin for Delegate, Independent, Virginia House 14th District," June 12, 2013
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mary + Martin + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Community Calendar for the Midlands, Dec. 7 - The State
- Critics' Picks Critics' Picks: Dec. 6-12, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Pearl Harbor 72nd anniversary - Sacramento Bee
- Oscar watch 2014: Holiday film preview - Loyola Phoenix
- Christmas events are on-going in the area - TriCities.com
- Weekly Calendar, December 6, 2013 - Progress Index
- Funeral directory for Dec. 7, 2013 - The Daily News Online
- ProfNet Experts Available on New Year's Resolutions, Nelson Mandela, More - Sacramento Bee
- Today in History, Dec. 5 - Waterbury Republican American
- TODAY DECEMBER 6 SATURDAY DECEMBER 7 SUNDAY DECEMBER 8 ... - Progress Index
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Video of Announcement of Candidacy
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Project Vote Smart biography and profile
- ↑ Virginia State Board of Elections, "2013 Official Candidates List for House of Delegates by District", Accessed July 11, 2013
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Video of Announcement of Candidacy
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 The Martinsville Bulletin, "Martin announces for House," June 13, 2013
- ↑ Virginia Board of Elections, “Official Results - 2013 General Election," accessed December 2, 2013
- ↑ University of Virginia Center for Politics, Sabato's Crystal Ball, "Republicans Certain to Retain Control of Virginia House of Delegates," August 8, 2013
- ↑ Daily Kos, "A look at the 2013 Virginia House of Delegates Elections," April 11, 2013
- ↑ The Martinsville Bulletin, "Martin announces for House," June 13, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |