Maryland Commissioner of Insurance
|Maryland Commissioner of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2014 FY Budget:||$31,163,529|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Assumed office:||June 13, 2011|
|Other Maryland Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Treasurer • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Secretary of Labor • Public Service Commission|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Maryland Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Maryland Commissioner of Insurance is appointed by the Governor, with Senate advice and consent, to a four-year term.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Maryland Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Maryland Insurance Administration has the following responsibilities:
- Protect Maryland consumers by regulating the state's insurance companies and producers.
- Investigate complaints consumers have about their insurance coverage, including, but not limited to, life, health, automobile, and homeowners.
- License insurance companies and producers operating in Maryland.
- Conduct financial examinations of insurance companies to ensure solvency.
- Conduct market conduct examinations to ensure compliance with Maryland's insurance laws.
- Investigate acts of insurance fraud.
- Review and approve rates and contract forms.
The Maryland Insurance Administration is divided into the following divisions:
- Office of the Commissioner
- Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, Associate Deputy Commissioner
- Public Affairs
- Government Relations
- Producer Licensing
- Fiscal Services
- Human Resources
- Management Information Systems
- Facilities Management
- Compliance & Enforcement
- Consumer Education and Advocacy
- Examination & Auditing
- Insurance Fraud
- Life & Health
- Property & Casualty
- Office of the Attorney General
- Office of the Chief Actuary
The Insurance Administration and Regulation's budget for fiscal year 2014 was $31,163,529.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Maryland Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Maryland + Commissioner + of + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Md. weighs options after Obama unveils fix to dropped insurance policies - Baltimore Sun
- Maryland will follow Obama's reversal on health plans - Washington Business Journal (blog)
- Press Release: Rep Harris Calls on MD Insurance Commissioner to Expedite ... - The Chestertown Spy
- Md. commissioner to meet with carrier execs over cancelations - IFAwebnews.com
- Bait-and-Switch: The Obama Administration's Flouting of Key Part of Nelson ... - National Right to Life News
- Director of Md. Health Insurance Board Resigns - NBC4 Washington
- Regulators adopt Volcker Rule - UPI.com
- Lincoln Nat'l settles multistate action for $12.6M - LifeHealthPro
- Commissioner: Md. law permits early renewal of existing health plans - The Star Democrat
- Policyholders get chance to extend health plans - Baltimore Sun
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Maryland Insurance Administration
200 Saint Paul Place, Suite 2700
Baltimore, MD 21202
- ↑ Maryland State Archives, "Maryland Insurance Administration - Historical Evolution," accessed September 24, 2011
- ↑ Maryland Insurance Administration, About MIA
- ↑ Maryland Insurance Administration, MIA Divisions
- ↑ http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/Chapters_noln/CH_423_hb0100e.pdf 2013 Laws of Maryland, "Chapter 423, Budget Bill (Fiscal Year 2014)," 27-28, accessed June 27, 2013]
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 21, 2011