Maryland House of Delegates District 38B
|Maryland House of Delegates District 38B|
|Current incumbent||Norman Conway |
|Next election||November 6, 2018|
About the office
Section 9 of Article 3 of the Maryland Constitution states, "A person is eligible to serve as a Senator or Delegate, who on the date of his election, (1) is a citizen of the State of Maryland, (2) has resided therein for at least one year next preceding that date, and (3) if the district which he has been chosen to represent has been established for at least six months prior to the date of his election, has resided in that district for six months next preceding that date.
If the district which the person has been chosen to represent has been established less than six months prior to the date of his election, then in addition to (1) and (2) above, he shall have resided in the district for as long as it has been established.
A person is eligible to serve as a Senator, if he has attained the age of twenty-five years, or as a Delegate, if he has attained the age of twenty-one years, on the date of his election."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Maryland legislature are paid $43,500/year. Legislators receive $100/day for lodging. Additionally, they receive $42 for meals and $225/day for out-of-state travel (which includes meals/lodging).
The Governor has 30 days after the vacancy to make an appointment based on the recommendations of the political party committee that holds the vacant seat. The political party committee has up to 30 days after the vacancy to submit a list of recommended candidates to the Governor. If the party committee fails to act within the 30 day deadline, the Governor has 15 days to appoint a person from the political party that last held the seat.
The person appointed to the seat serves for the remainder of the unfilled term.
Elections for the office of Maryland House of Delegates took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 25, 2014. Incumbent Norman H. Conway was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Carl Anderton, Jr. was unopposed in the Republican primary. Anderton defeated Conway in the general election.
|Maryland House of Delegates District 38B, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Carl Anderton, Jr.||52.3%||5,617|
|Democratic||Norman H. Conway Incumbent||47.7%||5,133|
Elections for the office of Maryland House of Delegates consisted of a primary election on September 14, 2010, and a general election on November 2, 2010. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 6, 2010. Incumbent Norman Conway (D) and Mike McDermott (R) defeated Marty Pusey (R) and Gee Williams (D) in the general election. Conway and Williams defeated Bernard Hayden in the Republican primary. McDermott and Pusey defeated A. Kaye Kenney and Joe Schanno in the Democratic primary.
|Maryland House of Delegates, District 38 Republican Primary, 2010|
|A. Kaye Kenney||24.8%||2,902|
|Maryland House of Delegates, District 38 Democratic Primary, 2010|
|Norman Conway Incumbent||55.1%||5,281|
Since 2002, candidates for Maryland House of Delegates District 38B have raised a total of $1,301,471. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $Expression error: Unrecognized word "a". on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Maryland House of Delegates District 38B|
|2002||$191,732||6a||$Expression error: Unrecognized word "a".|
|Total||$1,301,471||Expression error: Unrecognized word "a".||$Expression error: Unrecognized word "a".|
- United States Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed September 11, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population," April 2, 2001. Accessed February 13, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Maryland General Assembly, "Maryland Constitution," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Section, Article III, Section 13, Subsection (a)(1))
- Maryland General Assembly, "Maryland Constitution," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Section, Article III, Section 13, Subsections (a)(1) and (a)(2))
- Maryland General Assembly, "Maryland Constitution," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Section, Article III, Section 13, Subsection (a)(4))
- Maryland Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 3, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "Official 2014 Gubernatorial Primary Election results for House of Delegates," accessed December 5, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "2010 General Election Official Results - House of Delegates," accessed October 18, 2013
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "2010 Gubernatorial Primary Election - State Senator," accessed October 18, 2013
State of Maryland
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |