Massachusetts House of Representatives Eighth Suffolk District
|Massachusetts House of Representatives Eighth Suffolk District|
|Current incumbent||Jay Livingstone|
|Race||73.89% White, 6.74% Black, 14.62% Asian|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 42,847 civilians reside within Massachusetts' Eighth Suffolk state house district. Massachusetts state senators represent an average of 40,923 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 39,682 residents.
About the office
Members of the Massachusetts House of Representatives serve two-year terms and are not subject to term limits. Massachusetts legislators assume office the first Wednesday in January after the election.
Article LXXI of the Massachusetts Constitution states: Every representative, for one year at least immediately preceding his election, shall have been an inhabitant of the district for which he is chosen and shall cease to represent such district when he shall cease to be an inhabitant of the commonwealth.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Massachusetts General Court are paid $61,133/year. Legislators receive between $10/day to $100/day per diem, depending on distance from the state house. Compensation is vouchered and set by the legislature.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. The election must be held on the next regularly scheduled date on the election calendar. Local governments who conduct special elections receive reimbursement from the State Treasurer's office for all costs incurred.
Elections for the office of Massachusetts House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on September 9, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent Jay Livingstone was unopposed in the Democratic primary and was unopposed in the general election.
Jay Livingstone (D) won election in a special election for Massachusetts House of Representatives 8th Suffolk District on June 25, 2013. The seat was vacant following Martha Walz's (D) resignation to head the Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts. Livingstone defeated Joshua L. Dawson in the Democratic primary on May 28 and was unopposed in the special election, which took place on June 25.
|Massachusetts House of Representatives, 8th Suffolk District Democratic Primary, 2013|
|Joshua L. Dawson||30.7%||793|
Elections for the office of Massachusetts House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on September 6, 2012 and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 29, 2012. Incumbent Martha Walz (D) was unopposed in the general election and the Democratic primary.
Since 2012, candidates for Massachusetts House of Representatives Eighth Suffolk District have raised a total of $51,932. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $51,932 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Massachusetts House of Representatives Eighth Suffolk District|
|* Campaign finance data for 2012 is incomplete for this district.|
- Massachusetts Legislature, House district statistics. Retrieved November 6, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed September 11, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population," April 2, 2001. Accessed February 13, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Massachusetts General Court, "Massachusetts Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Section Chapter 50, Section 6A)
- Massachusetts General Court, "Massachusetts Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Section Chapter 3: Section 10A)
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "2014 State Primary Candidates," accessed September 9, 2014
- Boston Globe, "State Rep. Martha Walz to lead Planned Parenthood," January 30, 2013
- Boston.com, "Dates set for special election to replace state Rep. Marty Walz," February 7, 2013
- sec.state.ma.us, "Special State Primary Candidates - Eighth Suffolk State Representative District," accessed May 14, 2013
- beaconhill.patch.com, " Where Do I Vote on Beacon Hill Today?," June 25, 2013 (dead link)
- sec.state.ma.us, "Official Democratic primary results," accessed November 19, 2013 (timed out)
- Massachusetts Secretary of State, “A Candidate’s Guide to the 2012 State Election.” Retrieved November 2, 2013
- Massachusetts Secretary of State, 2012 primary election results. Retrieved November 2, 2013
- Massachusetts Secretary of State, 2012 general election results. Retrieved November 2, 2013
State of Massachusetts
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs | Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development | Chair of Public Utilities |