|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$305,236,877|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Title 2, Chapter 10, Section 1 of the General Laws of Massachusetts|
|Assumed office:||January 19, 2011|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Massachusetts Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Secretary of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs • Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development • Public Utilities Commission|
The treasurer is responsible for maintaining the state funds by investing and maintaining the state budget. The department is divided into seven divisions, abandoned property, board of retirement, the water pollution abatement trust, debt management, deferred compensation, financial education and cash management.
The treasurer is elected every four years.
The position of state treasurer is established in Title 2, Chapter 10, Section 1 of the General Laws of Massachusetts:
"There shall be a department of the state treasurer, under his supervision and control, organized as provided in this chapter. "
According to Article XVII of the Massachusetts Constitution, an executive officer of the commonwealth must "have been an inhabitant of this commonwealth five years next preceding his election or appointment."
Massachusetts elects treasurers statewide every four years.
If the office of the treasurer becomes vacant during annual or special session of the general court, the public elects a successor, otherwise, "it shall be supplied by the governor by appointment, with the advice and consent of the council."
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that outlines the key responsibilities of a state executive office. That information for the Massachusetts Treasurer has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Massachusetts Treasurer has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Office of the Treasurer's budget for the 2013 fiscal year was $305,236,877.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Massachusetts Treasurer has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Massachusetts + State + Treasurer
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Insiders Poll: The 2014 State Races Are Up For Grabs - Boston magazine's Boston Daily (blog)
- State Treasurer Steve Grossman talks about slot parlors, the South Coast Rail ... - Taunton Daily Gazette
- Lawrence Official Jumps Into State Senate Race - Patch.com
- Former Rep. Polito expected to announce statewide campaign - MetroWest Daily News
- Baker outpaces governor candidates in October fundraising - Wicked Local
- Gaming chief: 1st Mass. casino may not open for 3 years - Sentinel and Enterprise
- Mass. Senate approves hike in state minimum wage - Anchorage Daily News
- Running mate issue gets thornier for Charlie Baker - Boston Globe
- Republican Karyn Polito of Shrewsbury expected to announce 2014 bid for ... - MassLive.com
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Charlie Baker leads opponents in latest ... - MassLive.com
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Massachusetts State Treasurer's Office
State House, Room 227
Boston MA, 02133
- Steven Grossman
- Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
- Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Attorney General
- Massachusetts Secretary of State
- ↑ The Official Website of the Treasurer and Receiver General of Massachusetts, "Treasurer Steven Grossman," accessed September 18, 2012
- ↑ Massachusetts Legislature, "General Laws - Title 2, Chapter 10, Section 1," accessed July 16, 2013
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Massachusetts Legislature, "Constitution," accessed September 18, 2012
- ↑ The Massachusetts Legislature, "FY 2013 Final Budget," accessed June 27, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 25, 2011