Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, Alaska
|Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Deena M. Paramo|
|Number of schools:||45|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Susan Pougher|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District
- 7 Academic Performance
- 8 Issues
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 The good
- 11 The bad
- 12 Contact information
- 13 External links
- 14 See also
- 15 References
About the district
LocationMatanuska-Susitna Borough in an area commonly known as the “Valley.” The district spans approximately 25,000 square miles, an area larger than the entire state of West Virginia. According to the 2010 Census it is home to approximately 88,995 residents.
Matanuska-Susitna Borough underperformed in comparison to the rest of Alaska in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 21.2% of Matanuska-Susitna Borough residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 27.5% for Alaska as a whole.The median household income for Matanuska-Susitna Borough was $70,728 compared to $69,014 for the state of Alaska. The percentage of people below poverty level for Matanuska-Susitna Borough was 9.9% while it is 9.5% for the state of Alaska.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent for Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District is Dr. Deena M. Paramo, who has held this position since July 14, 2011. Prior to serving as a teacher and administrator for the "Mat-Su" District, she was a teacher for the Copper River School District in Alaska.
The Matanuska-Sustina school board is composed of seven members serving three-year terms.
|Matanuska Borough School District|
|Deborah Retherford||Seat A||2015|
|Sarah Welton||Seat B||2015|
|Susan Pougher||Seat C||2016|
|Ole Larson||Seat D||2014|
|Tiffany Scott||Seat E||2014|
|Donna Dearman||Seat F||2016|
|Ray Michaelson||Seat G||2016|
School board elections
Members of the school board are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Each election is held on the first Tuesday in October. Two seats are up for election in October 2014, two seats are up for election in October 2015 and three seats are up for election in October 2016.
Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District employs over 2,200 employees. Over half of those employees are teachers.
The school board enters into negotiated agreements with unions representing district employees. The negotiated agreement with the Classified Employees Association provides for a salary schedule from $10.80 to $39.71.
The negotiated agreement with the Mat-Su Education Association provided salary increases of 4% in FY11 and FY13 3.75% in FY10 for the district's teachers. The teacher salary schedule for FY13 ranged from $45,079 to $82,665.
The board's negotiated agreement with the Mid-level Management Association provides for a 2.5% salary increase over the three years for which the agreement is in effect, FY2012 through FY2014, with the FY2013 salary schedule ranging from $37,721 to $82,052.
The Mat-Su Principal's Association negotiated agreement with the school board provides for a 2% pay increase each year. The salary schedule for principals in FY2011 ranges from $72,045 to $120,641.
The salary schedule for all negotiated agreements with the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District can be found on the district website.
Schools in Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District
Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District operates 45 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Matanuska-Susitna Borough Schools|
|Academy Charter School||K-8|
|American Charter School||2-12|
|Big Lake Elementary School||K-5|
|Birchtree Alternative School||K-8|
|Burchell High Alternative School||9-12|
|Butte Elementary School||K-5|
|Career & Tech High School||9-12|
|Colony Middle School||6-8|
|Colony High School||9-12|
|Cottonwood Creek Elementary School||K-5|
|Finger Lake Elementary||K-5|
|Fronteras Spanish Charter School||K-5|
|Glacier View School||K-5|
|Goose Bay Elementary||K-2|
|Houston High School||9-12|
|Houston Middle School||6-8|
|Mat-Su Central School||K-12|
|Mat-Su Day School||K-12|
|Meadow Lakes Elementary||K-5|
|Midnight Sun Charter||K-8|
|Palmer High School||9-12|
|Palmer Middle School||6-8|
|Pioneer Peak Elementary||K-5|
|Su Valley Jr/Sr. High School||6-12|
|Teeland Middle School||6-8|
|Trapper Creek Elementary||K-6|
|Twindly Bridge Charter||K-12|
|Valley Pathways School||9-12|
|Wasilla High School||9-12|
|Wasilla Middle School||6-8|
Mantanuska-Susitna Borough School District has a graduation rate of 73.5%. The 2012-2013 Standards Based Assessments (SBA) are available from the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development and are listed in the charts below.
Standards Based Assessments
|Standard Based Assessments results, 2012-2013|
|Subject||Percent Tested (%)||Advanced (%)||Proficient (%)||Below Proficient (%)||Fair Below Proficient (%)|
The Mat-Su Central School serving grades K-12 failed to meet adequate yearly progress for the 2011-12 school year.
|Transparency grading process|
Last reviewed: October 2012
- Tax revenues are available and tax rates are published in CAFR.
- The current budget is published and previous budgets are available for the last three years
- The calendar of Board meetings and meeting agendas and minutes and are available and archived at least three years
- Names of Board officials, individual email address, individual phone numbers, and a physical address are available
- Names of administrative officials, individual email address, individual phone numbers, and a physical address are available
- Bids are posted
- The current audit is published and previous audits are available for the last three years
- A public records contact is available and public records policies are available in a central location
- Background check policy is available.
- Academic reports are available for standard testing and graduation rates are posted
- Although the website offers an excellent budget review document, the budget itself does not have explanatory supplemental text.
- Awarded contracts information is unavailable, and a search returns only contract policies.
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District website
- Association of Alaska School Boards
- Greatschools.net Ratings of schools in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District
- Mat-Su Education Association
- Alaska school districts
- List of school districts in Alaska
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District Elections (2013)
- School boards and school board elections
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "Home," accessed February 5, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Quickfacts: Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska" accessed August 5, 2013
- State of Alaska Division of Elections, "Voter Registration Statistics," accessed February 4, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Matanuska-Sustina Borough School District, "School Board," accessed February 5, 2014
- Matanuska-Suisitna Borough, "Office of the Borough Clerk: Election Information," accessed August 5, 2013
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "FY 2013-2014 Adopted Budget Document," accessed November 26, 2013
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "About Us: Our District" Accessed August 5, 2013
- District Forms
- CEA Salary Schedule for FY13
- MSEA Negotiated Agreement
- MSEA Negotiated Agreement
- MLMA Negotiated Agreement
- MSPA Negotiated Agreement
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "Negotiation Agreements & Salary Information" Accessed August 5, 2013
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "About us: Our District," accessed August 5, 2013
- Alaska Department of Education and Early Development, "Report Card to the Public," accessed February 5, 2014
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "2011-2012 Adequate Yearly Progress" Accessed August 5, 2013
- Tax revenues
- Current and archived budget
- Current and archived meetings
- Board officials
- Administrative officials
- Current bids
- Public Information
- check Background policy
- Academic reports