For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, Alaska
|Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Deena M. Paramo|
|Number of schools:||45|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Susan Pougher|
About the districtMatanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska. Matanuska-Susitna Borough is home to 95,192 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Matanuska-Susitna Borough underperformed in comparison to the rest of Alaska in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 21.2 percent of Matanuska-Susitna Borough residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 27.5 percent for Alaska as a whole. The median household income in Matanuska-Susitna Borough was $70,728 compared to $69,917 for the state of Alaska. The poverty rate in Matanuska-Susitna Borough was 9.9 percent compared to 9.6 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The superintendent of Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District is Dr. Deena M. Paramo. Serving in this position since July 14, 2011, Paramo first joined the district in 1993. She previously served as a teacher, assistant principal, principal and assistant superintendent. Paramo has a bachelor's degree in education, master's in administration and doctorate in learning assessment and system performance.
The Matanuska-Sustina school board is composed of seven members serving three-year terms.
|Matanuska Borough School District|
|Deborah Retherford||Seat A||2015|
|Sarah Welton||Seat B||2015|
|Susan Pougher||Seat C||2016|
|R. "Ole" Larson||Seat D||2017|
|Tiffany R. Scott||Seat E||2017|
|Donna Dearman||Seat F||2016|
|Ray Michaelson||Seat G||2016|
School board elections
Members of the school board are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Each election is held on the first Tuesday in October. Two seats were up for election in October 2014, two seats are up for election in October 2015 and three seats are up for election in October 2016.
The table below displays the budget for the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District:
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District employs over 2,200 employees. Over half of those employees are teachers.
The school board enters into negotiated agreements with unions representing district employees. The negotiated agreement with the Classified Employees Association provides for a salary schedule from $10.80 to $39.71.
The negotiated agreement with the Mat-Su Education Association provided salary increases of 4% in FY11 and FY13 3.75% in FY10 for the district's teachers. The teacher salary schedule for FY13 ranged from $45,079 to $82,665.
The board's negotiated agreement with the Mid-level Management Association provides for a 2.5% salary increase over the three years for which the agreement is in effect, FY2012 through FY2014, with the FY2013 salary schedule ranging from $37,721 to $82,052.
The Mat-Su Principal's Association negotiated agreement with the school board provides for a 2% pay increase each year. The salary schedule for principals in FY2011 ranges from $72,045 to $120,641.
Schools in Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District
Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District operates 45 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Matanuska-Susitna Borough Schools|
|Academy Charter School||K-8|
|American Charter School||2-12|
|Big Lake Elementary School||K-5|
|Birchtree Alternative School||K-8|
|Burchell High Alternative School||9-12|
|Butte Elementary School||K-5|
|Career & Tech High School||9-12|
|Colony Middle School||6-8|
|Colony High School||9-12|
|Cottonwood Creek Elementary School||K-5|
|Finger Lake Elementary||K-5|
|Fronteras Spanish Charter School||K-5|
|Glacier View School||K-5|
|Goose Bay Elementary||K-2|
|Houston High School||9-12|
|Houston Middle School||6-8|
|Mat-Su Central School||K-12|
|Mat-Su Day School||K-12|
|Meadow Lakes Elementary||K-5|
|Midnight Sun Charter||K-8|
|Palmer High School||9-12|
|Palmer Middle School||6-8|
|Pioneer Peak Elementary||K-5|
|Su Valley Jr/Sr. High School||6-12|
|Teeland Middle School||6-8|
|Trapper Creek Elementary||K-6|
|Twindly Bridge Charter||K-12|
|Valley Pathways School||9-12|
|Wasilla High School||9-12|
|Wasilla Middle School||6-8|
Mantanuska-Susitna Borough School District has a graduation rate of 73.5%. The 2012-2013 Standards Based Assessments (SBA) are available from the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development and are listed in the charts below.
Standards Based Assessments
|Standard Based Assessments results, 2012-2013|
|Subject||Percent Tested (%)||Advanced (%)||Proficient (%)||Below Proficient (%)||Fair Below Proficient (%)|
- Alaska school districts
- List of school districts in Alaska
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District elections (2014)
- School board elections portal
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District
- Matanuska-Susitna Education Association
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Alaska Department of Education & Early Development
- Association of Alaska School Boards
- Alaska Department of Education and Early Development, "2012-2013 Report Card for Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District," accessed November 25, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska," accessed July 25, 2014
- State of Alaska Division of Elections, "Voter Registration Statistics, accessed July 25, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "Superintendent Bio," accessed November 25, 2014
- Matanuska-Sustina Borough School District, "School Board," accessed February 5, 2014
- Matanuska-Suisitna Borough, "Office of the Borough Clerk: Election Information," accessed August 5, 2013
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "FY 2013-2014 Adopted Budget Document," accessed November 26, 2013
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "About Us: Our District" Accessed August 5, 2013
- District Forms (dead link)
- CEA Salary Schedule for FY13
- MSEA Negotiated Agreement
- MSEA Negotiated Agreement
- MLMA Negotiated Agreement
- MSPA Negotiated Agreement
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District, "About us: Our District," accessed August 5, 2013
- Alaska Department of Education and Early Development, "Report Card to the Public," accessed February 5, 2014