|U.S. House, Illinois, District 13|
|Greene County State’s Attorney|
|High school||Carrollton High School|
|Bachelor's||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Master's||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|J.D.||Southern Illinois University Carbondale|
|Service/branch||Illinois Army National Guard|
|Years of service||1999-2005|
Goetten was raised in Carrollton in Greene County, Illinois. He attended St. John’s Elementary and Carrollton High School. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a Bachelor’s Degree in psychology. He later earned his Master’s Degree in labor relations. Goetten received his law degree from Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
- 1999-Present:Illinois Army National Guard
- 2004: Elected Greene County State’s Attorney
Frank Metzger and candidate Michael Firsching were defeated by incumbent Timothy Johnson in the Republican primary on March 20, 2012. The Democratic primary between candidates David Gill and Goetten was incredibly close, and in the end Gill narrowly beat out Goetten.
|U.S. House, Illinois' 13th Congressional District Democratic Primary, 2012|
Goetten and his wife, Erin, have two children.
- ABC News 7, "Election Results Primary 2012," accessed March 20, 2012
- Matt Goettten for Congress "Info" Accessed January 16, 2012
- News Gazette "Updated: Gill apparent winner over Goetten," March 21, 2012
- Roll Call, "Goetten to Challenge Timothy Johnson in Illinois" Accessed December 6, 2011
- Matt Goetten for Congress Facebook Page "Biography" Accessed December 30, 2011
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |