|Arizona House of Representatives District 29|
|Minority Whip, Arizona State House of Representatives|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||Four consecutive terms|
|Bachelor's||Albion College, 1999|
|M.D.||Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2003|
|Birthday||June 6, 1977|
|Place of birth||Midland, MI|
Heinz currently works as a physician at the Tucson Medical Center.
He is a member of the Democrats of Greater Tucson, Equality Arizona, Executive Committee of the Healthy Arizona Initiative, Southern Arizona Stonewall Democrats, American Medical Association, Arizona Medical Association, and Pima County Medical Society.
Heinz's sponsored bills include:
- HB 2219 - legislators; disclosure of interest
- HB 2519 - pseudoephedrine products; pharmacies
- HB 2520 - salvia divinorum; unlawful acts
- HB 2544 - schools; sex education
For a full listed of sponsored bills see the House website.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Heinz served on these committees:
- Appropriations Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
- Health and Human Services Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
- Rules Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Heinz served on these committees:
- Appropriations Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
- Public Employees, Retirement and Entitlement Reform Committee, Arizona House of Representatives
Heinz's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "Regardless of the verdict in Supreme Court case over the Affordable Health Care Act, improving the health care system will always be at the top of the legislative agenda. With the number of uninsured and uninsurable in the private market, physicians and healthcare providers are best equipped to inform the process."
- Excerpt: "Matt Heinz has seen first-hand how Southern Arizona has suffered through this recession. Any jobs strategy will need strong partnerships among businesses, labor, and elected leaders. Matt Heinz’s proven record of problem-solving as both a doctor and constructive bipartisan leader in the statehouse will enable him to get things done for Southern Arizona."
- Border Security
- Excerpt: "A lack of legal channels for entry, a booming drug trade and the impossibility of creating a physical barrier between Arizona and Mexico necessitate new approaches to immigration issues that recognize that this is a bi-partisan issue of law enforcement."
- Excerpt: "I will work to ensure sufficient and equitable funding for our schools. We need to reverse the damage of the 10’s of billions of dollars in reductions the GOP has implemented in education funding, as well as the $2.2 billion cuts at the state level. While government needs to be trimmed, current austerity measures ensure a poorly prepared and under-educated workforce, reducing our ability to compete in an increasingly level global economy."
- Veterans and Military Personnel
- Excerpt: "We need to protect our military installations that are vital both to the local economy and national security. Davis Monthan's airforce assets have proven invaluable in our national defense over the last decade and the Army Intelligence School at Ft. Huachuca is needed more than ever as we enter into an era of warfare where our enemies are often not states but decentralized, secret organizations that conventional forces alone cannot defeat."
Heinz won re-election to the 29th district seat in 2010. He and Daniel Patterson faced no opposition in the August 24 primary election. They defeated Republican Pat Kilburn in the November 2 general election.
|Arizona House of Representatives, District 29 General Election (2010)|
|Daniel Patterson (D)||18,326|
|Matt Heinz (D)||17,227|
|Pat Kilburn (R)||14,338|
Heinz raised $36,136 for the campaign, Patterson raised $36,151, Kilburn raised $23,741, and Ciscomani raised $17,157.
|Arizona State House, District 29 (2008)|
|Matt Heinz (D)||24,898|
|Daniel Patterson (D)||25,684|
|Pat Kilburn (R)||15,344|
|Juan Ciscomani (R)||11,960|
|Matt Heinz (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 19, 2012||$0||$102,030||$(24,993.91)||$77,036.09|
|July Quarterly||July 13, 2012||$77,036.09||$33,755||$(68,527.41)||$42,263.68|
|Pre-Primary||August 16, 2012||$42,263.68||$42,066.89||$(85,421.17)||$-1,090.60|
In 2010, Heinz raised $55,755 in contributions. 
His two largest contributors were:
|United Food & Commercial Workers Local 99||$1,664|
|Arizona Association Of Realtors||$1,664|
|Arizona Medical Association||$1,500|
Below are Heinz's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|James B Angel||$130|
|Nathan J Kunz||$130|
The Goldwater Institute releases its "Legislative Report Card" annually for all Arizona legislators. This report card tracks how legislators voted on key votes and assigns them a letter grade based on how closely their votes agree with the Institute's positions. The primary values emphasized in the ratings are whether votes expand or restrict liberty.
Heinz received a score of 40 out of 100 in the 2012 report card for a grade of D- according to the Goldwater Institute’s grading scale. This score was 8 higher than his score on the 2011 report card. Heinz’s 40 in 2012 was tied for the 47th highest grade among all 60 Arizona State Representatives.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Matt + Heinz + Arizona + House"
- Blizzards and big finishes on wild NFL Sunday - Edmonton Journal
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey - The Advocate
- Powerful storm moving up East Coast dumps snow, travel headaches abound - Newser
- NFL Week 14: Matt Prater boots NFL record 64-yard field goal in Broncos win ... - GazetteNET
- NFL: 49ers best Seahawks on last-minute field goal - Toronto Star
- Home Sports Football Sunday's NFL roundup: Ravens take it to the limit... - Hamilton Spectator
- Sunday's NFL roundup: Vikings lose game, and Adrian Peterson - The Detroit News
- NFL Roundup: Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle - Albany Democrat Herald
- Nearly Half Of Americans Live In Places Where Election Officials Admit Long ... - Huffington Post
- Week 14: Texans at Jaguars preview - CBSSports.com
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Official campaign website
- Arizona Legislative - Matthew Heinz
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart bio
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006
- Facebook page
- Matt Heinz on Twitter
- ↑ Project Vote Smart - Rep. Heinz
- ↑ [ Campaign website, Issues]
- ↑ Official primary candidate list
- ↑ Associated Press primary results
- ↑ Governing.com, "State Lawmakers Emerge For Gifford’s Arizona Seat", February 7, 2012
- ↑ General election results
- ↑ 2008 general election results, Arizona
- ↑ Arizona House spending, 2008
- ↑ Federal Election Commission "Matt Heinz's Summary Report," Accessed August 23, 2012
- ↑ Federal Election Commission "Matt Heinz April Quarterly," Accessed August 23, 2012
- ↑ Federal Election Commission "Matt Heinz July Quarterly," Accessed August 23, 2012
- ↑ Federal Election Commission "Matt Heinz Pre-Primary," Accessed August 23, 2012
- ↑ 2010 contributions
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Goldwater Institute "2012 Legislative Report Card for Arizona's 50th Legislature, First Regular Session," August 15, 2012
|Arizona House District 29
| Succeeded by|