|Minnesota State Senate, District 21|
|January 8, 2013 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Schmit served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Environment and Energy|
|• Jobs, Agriculture and Rural Development, Vice-chair|
Schmit's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Reduce property taxes
- Excerpt: "Matt understands that the state budget cannot be balanced on the backs of homeowners and businesses. He will work to make our communities stronger and bring property taxes down for all Minnesotans."
Advocate for Minnesota’s small business
- Excerpt: "Small business is the engine of Minnesota’s economy. Matt supports policies to help small business start-up and grow, creating well-paying jobs for area families. He will work to keep these businesses successful – here in Minnesota."
Promote world-class education
- Excerpt: "Matt opposed the Legislature's insistence on "borrowing" over $2 billion from our schools. He supports investments in education to ensure all children are ready for the jobs of the 21st century."
- Excerpt: "Reduce property taxes; skyrocketing property tax increases hurt our businesses. He'll work to reduce property taxes and pursue smart tax reform"
Protect our natural resources
- Excerpt: "As an avid outdoorsman and lifelong resident of Southeast Minnesota, Matt's inspired by the region's rugged bluffs, winding trout streams, and rich farmland - not to mention our defining resource, the Mississippi River."
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
Schmit won election in the 2012 election for Minnesota State Senate District 21. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14 and defeated incumbent John Howe (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota State Senate, District 21, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Mike Dudley Incumbent||47.5%||19,846|
Comprehensive donor information for Schmit is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Schmit raised a total of $60,526 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 27, 2013.
|Matt Schmit's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State Senate, District 21||$60,526|
|Grand Total Raised||$60,526|
2012Schmit won election to the Minnesota State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Schmit raised a total of $60,526.
|Minnesota State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Matt Schmit's campaign in 2012|
|3rd Senate District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$2,000|
|Senate District 21 DFL||$1,550|
|SE MN Area Labor||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$60,526|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Matt + Schmit + Minnesota + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Matt Schmit: Broadband is essential service for many - Winona Daily News
- Rural Minnesota needs broadband access - Albert Lea Tribune
- Roundup: 'Shortsighted' Telecoms - Daily Yonder
- Sen. Schmitt will continue ?Border to Border Broadband Tour? - Coon Rapids ECM Publishers
- University of Minnesota upgrades campus security - KARE
- MN Company Provides Water Filters to Customers Affected by W.Va. Chemical ... - KSTP.com
- Broadband listening session comes to Long Prairie - Long Prairie Leader
- Step-up, Minnesota, to improve broadband - Staples World (subscription)
- Capitol Chatter: Bachmann looking ahead - Bemidji Pioneer
- Bill to kill traffic diversion classes draws ire from Wabasha County sheriff - Minneapolis Star Tribune
- "schmitforsenate," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 25, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Follow the Money, "Schmit, Matt." Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed September 27, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed September 27, 2013
Gary Dahms (R)
|Minnesota State Senate District 21
| Succeeded by|