|Former candidate for|
|Texas State Senate, District 5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Whittington's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Cut Taxes and Spending
- Excerpt: "Taxes are too high. That's because government spending is too high. I want to reduce both."
End the War on Drugs
- Excerpt: "Selling and using drugs may be personally unwise, but those activities don't violate anyone's rights. By establishing drug prohibition, our government has taken a modest problem and turned it into a huge problem. Now we have to deal with drug gangs and black markets, and taxpayers have to pay to keep thousands of people in jail. We need to end this nonsense."
Relief for Small Businesses
- Excerpt: "State and local governments make it much harder than it should be to start your own business. Both native citizens and immigrants often wish they could start a business, but get frightened away by the mountain of red tape, fees, and regulations."
- Excerpt: "It is not possible to to be fair or enforce equality in education using taxpayer money. Equity and fairness are subjective terms that are regularly bent to the will of whichever politician or community leader is using them. The second this round of education funding lawsuits ends, the next will start."
- Excerpt: "Water Rights in Texas are a huge issue right now because of the drought. When this drought ends, the public and politicians are going to forget it is an issue until the next drought. This method of ignoring problems until they are a crisis and then reacting badly is not going to serve us well."
- See also: Texas State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for 15 of the 31 seats in the Texas State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on March 4, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in these elections was December 9, 2013. Incumbent Charles Schwertner was unopposed in the Republican primary, while Joel Shapiro was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Schwertner defeated Shapiro and Matthew Whittington (L) in the general election.
|Texas State Senate, District 5 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Charles Schwertner Incumbent||65%||112,930|
Whittington ran in the 2012 election for Texas House of Representatives, District 136. Whittington ran unopposed in the May 29 primary election and was defeated by Tony Dale (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 136, General Election, 2012|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Matthew + Whittington + Texas + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas State Legislature
- Texas state legislative districts
- Texas State Senate
- Texas State Senate elections, 2014
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Matthew Whittington on Twitter
- The Libertarian Party of Texas, "2014 Texas Senate Candidates List," accessed July 26, 2014
- electmatthewwhittington.com, "Issues," accessed August 14, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current ELECTION HISTORY," accessed December 2, 2014
- Green Party of Texas, "Greens Release Candidate List," accessed July 26, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 17, 2014