|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Deputy State Attorney General|
|High school||Winnacunnet High School|
|Place of birth||Newburyport, Massachusetts|
The first individual to enter the race from any party, Healey announced her candidacy the week after tendering her resignation, stating, "I'm confident my experience, passion and vision for the office make me the best candidate to ensure the attorney general's office continues to make a positive difference in the lives of Massachusetts residents."
She was originally hired to the attorney general's office in 2007 as head of the civil rights division, and by the time she stepped down in October 2013, Healey had also led two of the office’s five overall bureaus: the Business and Labor Bureau and the Public Protection and Advocacy Bureau. In the latter capacity, she played a notable role in Massachusetts' effort to strike down the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act.
Healey was born and raised in Newburyport, Massachusetts. She graduated from Winnacunnet High School and later attended Harvard University for her bachelor's degree. At Harvard, she played on the women's basketball team and served as its captain. Following her graduation in 1998, Healey went on to play professionally for two years in Austria.
She came back to the United States to earn her J.D. at Northeastern University's law school.
Prior to entering public service, Healey worked as a private practice attorney the firm of Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale & Dorr. She was a prosecutor in the Middlesex district attorney’s office until being hired to work for the state attorney general.
- Bachelor's degree - Harvard University (1992)
- Juris Doctor - Northeastern University (1998)
|Massachusetts Attorney General, Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Election Results Via:NECN. Vote totals above are unofficial and reflect 100% precincts reporting.|
Healey earned the endorsement of The Boston Globe prior to the primary.
Healey currently resides in Charlestown, Massachusetts, with her partner, Gabrielle Wolohojian.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Maura + Healey + Massachusetts + Attorney + General"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- The Republic, "Maura Healey, former deputy in Mass. attorney general's office, announces run for top job," October 21, 2013
- The Republican/MassLive.com, "Massachusetts Attorney General candidate Maura Healey says experience in AG's office prepared her for the top job," October 21, 2013
- Maura Healey for Attorney General, "Dem AG hopeful Healey vows to be strong force for consumers," August 8, 2014
- 90.9wbur - Boston's NPR news station, "Coakley Aide Announces Run For Mass. Attorney General," October 21, 2013
- The Boston Globe, "Maura Healey for attorney general," September 1, 2014
State of Massachusetts
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs | Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development | Chair of Public Utilities |