For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
May 6, 2014 ballot measure elections
May 6 marks the first statewide ballot election for 2014, with Ohio voters deciding the fate of Issue 1 during today's primary election. If approved by voters, the measure will fund public infrastructure projects, including improvements to roads and bridges, by allowing the issuance of $1.875 billion in general obligation bonds over the course of 10 years. This measure was sponsored in the Ohio Legislature by Sen. Kevin Bacon (R-3) and Sen. Gayle Manning (R-13), where it was known as Senate Joint Resolution 6. If approved by voters today, the amendment will take effect immediately.
Also in Ohio, proponents of a local ban on fracking and the establishment of a "Community Bill of Rights" in Youngstown, are trying for a third time to convince voters to approve their initiative. If the measure passes, it will:
- prohibit "unconventional natural gas extraction using horizontal hydraulic fracturing;"
- ban "the establishment of infrastructures supporting gas production;"
- ban "the storage, transportation or depositing of gas drilling waste products" in Youngstown; and
- establish a "Community Bill of Rights."
The May 6, 2014, vote will be the third time residents of Youngstown have weighed in on whether to ban fracking. Two previous efforts made the ballot and were defeated by voters in 2013, once in May and again in November.
There are seven local parcel taxes on May 6, 2014 ballots for voters in six school districts and one healthcare district across California. The most notable measure affecting the largest number of Californians is Measure C, a parcel tax of 14 cents per square foot, requested by the West Contra Costa Healthcare District. District officials have said that, without this parcel tax, the Doctors Medical Center (DMC) hospital, located in San Pablo, could be forced to drastically reduce its services or even shut down entirely. This gives today's decision by voters in the district life-changing consequences for the medical staff at the hospital and for patients throughout the area.
Stay tuned to Ballotpedia throughout the night for election results, as they become available.
- 2014 ballot measures
- Ohio 2014 ballot measures
- May 6, 2014 local ballot measure elections
- Local ballot measure elections in 2014
- Ballot Board, "Certified Ballot Issues for May 2014 Primary Election," accessed March 23, 2014
- Cleveland.com, "Ohio Ballot Board OKs language for state Issue 1, which will ask voters in May to reauthorize capital improvements bond program," February 20, 2014
- OpenStates.org, "SJR 6: Ohio Senate Joint Resolution," accessed March 23, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Issue 1, Proposed Constitutional Amendment," accessed March 23, 2014
- Protect Youngstown website, "Homepage," accessed January 6, 2014
- Vindy.com, "Youngstown fracking ban on ballot for 3rd time," April 12, 2014
- ABC Local, "Parcel tax proposed to save Doctors Medical Center," April 14, 2014