Maywood Public School Board of Education recall, Nebraska (2013)
An effort to recall the Maywood Public School Board of Education in Frontier County, Nebraska was launched in July 2013. The effort originally targeted four board members: David Dodson, Sheri Hartley, Lyle Koester and Donita Werkmeister; however, due to legal constraints the effort sought to recall just David Dodson and Donita Werkmeister. Board members Brett Wood and Lance Hastings were never subject to the effort. The recall did not go to a vote.
The recall effort was led by Tim Wolfe. Wolfe was upset over the remodeling of the School Superintendent's house.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Nebraska
On July 22, 2013, Wolfe requested four recall affidavits against the school board members from County Clerk Darla Walthers. Due to paperwork mistakes by Wolfe when submitting the affidavits, he had to restart the recall process. By that time, Sheri Hartley and Lyle Koester could not be targeted because they were up for regular election in early 2014 and state law prohibits recalls of officials up for election within six months. After the affidavits against Dodson and Werkmeister were submitted, the two officials were given 20 days to reply. Wolfe then had 30 days to gather signatures from 98 registered voters in the school district for each petition to trigger a recall election. County Clerk Walthers said a recall election would cost the district $2,500 at minimum.
- Frontier County Enterprise, "Maywood patrons move to recall school board and village board members," August 20, 2013
- McCook Daily Gazette, "Petition circulated to recall four Maywood school, one village board member," August 8, 2013
- Frontier County Enterprise, "Two Board Members Avoid Recall," August 21, 2013
- Maywood Public School, "Board of Education," accessed: August 22, 2013
- nptelegraph.com, "Maywood man tries to force recall vote," August 20, 2013
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |