McAllister defeats Riser for seat in Louisiana runoff special election
The special election was held to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Rep. Rodney Alexander (R). Gov. Bobby Jindal announced on August 7, 2013, that Alexander will take over as the next Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs. Alexander's resignation was effective on September 26, 2013.
One issue that distinguished the two Republican candidates was the Affordable Care Act. While both opposed overhauling the law, Riser expressed wanting only to repeal, while McAllister had said Congress should work on improvements to the law.
Louisiana's 5th Congressional District is a safe Republican district. The 5th Congressional District is the largest geographically in the state, encompassing 22 parishes in the northeast and central parts of the state.
|U.S. House, Louisiana District 5 Runoff General Special Election, 2013|
|Source: Louisiana Secretary of State, "11/16/2013 Special Election Results,"|
- Louisiana's 5th Congressional District special election, 2013
- Louisiana's 5th Congressional District
- Louisiana elections, 2013
- United States House of Representatives
- Special elections to the 113th United States Congress (2013-2014)
- Louisiana's 5th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Louisiana Elections Division
- Associated Press Election Results
- 11/16/2013 Congressional Election Results
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "U. S. Representative -- 5th Congressional District," accessed October 19, 2013
- The News Star, "Special election set Oct. 19; qualifying this month," accessed August 8, 2013
- Nola.com, "Rodney Alexander to join Jindal administration, departure from Congress will trigger special election," accessed August 8, 2013
- The Republic, "McAllister beats Riser in runoff election for Louisiana's 5th District congressional seat," accessed November 16, 2013
- Washington Post, "McAllister beats Riser in runoff election for Louisiana’s 5th District congressional seat," accessed November 16, 2013
- Roll Call, "Louisiana Congressman to Endorse Candidate for Alexander’s Seat #LA05," accessed August 8, 2013
- The Advocate, "Monroe mayor to run for 5th Congressional District seat," accessed August 19, 2013