Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
Nicknamed the Queen City, Charlotte and its resident county are named in honor of Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who had become queen consort of British King George III the year before the city's founding. A second nickname derives from the American Revolutionary War, when British commander General Cornwallis occupied the city but was driven out by hostile residents, prompting him to write that Charlotte was "a hornet's nest of rebellion," leading to the nickname The Hornet's Nest.
This website was last reviewed: April 16, 2013.
- Elected Officials
- Contact information for county commissioners is posted. 
- Contact information for county administrative officials is posted. 
- Current county budget and proposed budget are posted. 
- Budgets are archived to 2004.
- Most recent financial audit for the county is posted. 
- Audits are archived to 2001.
- Permits and Zoning
- Tax revenues are available in the budget and tax rates are published
- Public Records
- Information on how to request public records is posted. 
- Open Government Portal
- Mecklenburg County provides an open government portal for ease of transparency. 
- A search of lobbying information did not generate relevant results regarding employed lobbyists, memberships to government sector lobbying associations, and associated fees.
The city of Charlotte, the county seat of Mecklenburg, received $71,267,499 in federal stimulus money in three contracts and fifty grants.
Property taxes account for 64.8% of revenue, followed by sales tax (14.4%), licenses and fees (8.1%), utilities franchise taxes (8.1%) police services (3.3%), and other taxes (1.2%).
See also: North Carolina state government salary
See also: North Carolina public pensions
- Mecklenburg County
- Charlotte Wikipedia
- County Commissioners
- http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/BOCC/Meetings/Pages/default.aspx Agenda]
- Archived Agendas
- Archived Minutes
- http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/CountyManagersOffice/Pages/default.aspx Administration]
- Vendor lists
- Permits & Licenses
- Tax rates
- Public Records
- http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/CountyManagersOffice/OpenMeck/Pages/Default.aspx Open Government Portal]
- Federal stimulus
- 9, 2011 FY2012-FY2013 City Manager%27s Recommended Budget Presentation.pdf Tax revenue