|Iowa House of Representatives District 2|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|High school||Spencer High School|
|Place of birth||Harlan, Iowa|
Hess earned her B.S. and J.D. from Drake University. Her professional experience includes working as a lawyer.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Jones served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Environmental Protection, Chair|
|• Local Government|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Hess served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environmental Protection|
|• Human Resources|
|• Judiciary, Vice chair|
Hess' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- "We need to develop and market it to keep people in, and bring people to, Iowa."
- "I will take a grassroots approach to economic development. I will make it clear to the state and nation that northwest Iowa has its doors open to business."
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Megan Jones was unopposed in the Republican primary and faced Terry Manwarren (I) in the general election. Incumbent Hess defeated Manwarren in the general election.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 2 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Megan Jones Incumbent||86.9%||8,770|
Hess ran in the 2012 election for Iowa House of Representatives District 2. She defeated Josh Davenport in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012. Hess defeated Steve Bomgaars (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 2, General Election, 2012|
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 2 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Hess is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Hess raised a total of $103,519 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Megan Jones's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State House, District 2||$103,519|
|Grand Total Raised||$103,519|
2012Hess won election to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Hess raised a total of $103,519.
|Iowa House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Megan Jones's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Republican Party||$28,941|
|Republican State Leadership Cmte||$5,000|
|Associated General Contractors of Iowa||$3,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$103,519|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Megan + Hess + Iowa + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa House Committees
- Iowa House of Representatives District 2
- Iowa State Legislature
- Profile from the Iowa House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Megan Jones on Twitter
- Megan Jones on LinkedIn
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- meganhess.us, "Official Campaign Website," accessed April 8, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 1, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed May 15, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Hess, Megan," accessed September 19, 2013
Chris Hall (D)
|Iowa House of Representatives District 2
| Succeeded by|
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |