For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Mel Cohen recall, Morganton, North Carolina (2014)
An effort to recall Mel Cohen from his position as Mayor of Morganton, North Carolina was launched in June 2013. Supporters of the recall circulated petitions in order to qualify the recall question for the ballot. The effort ended in June 2014 when the one-year deadline for handing in signatures was reached.
The recall effort against Cohen was initiated by Dr. Aziz Omer. Omer was primarily upset over a proposal to increase electric utility deposits from $130 to $400, but told reporters he believed Cohen "has turned into a career politician and [he is] not in the greater good of our community." Cohen said the increase was necessary to maintain a balanced city budget.
Mel Cohen was first elected Mayor of Morganton in 1985.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall
Recall supporters had until June 27, 2014 (one year from the date the petition was filed with the Burke County Board of Elections) to collect 2,228 signatures (25 percent of Moranton's registered voters).
North Carolina does not have any known recall provisions. All provisions for the recall effort are set out in the Morganton City Charter.
- The News Herald, "Mayoral recall petition ends; June 27 marked one-year time frame to collect signatures," June 30, 2014
- WHKY-TV, "Morganton Man Will Attempt to Force Recall Vote on Mayor Cohen," July 8, 2013 (dead link)
- WSOC-TV, "Man starts petition to recall 28-year Morganton mayor," June 28, 2013
- City of Morganton, "Welcome from Mayor Mel Cohen," accessed: August 13, 2013
- The News Herald, "Organizer: Recall petition tops 400 signatures," August 12, 2013
State of North Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utilities |