|Cincinnati Board of Education, At-large|
|Years in position||12|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 2001|
|Ohio State Board of Education|
|Master's||Northern Kentucky University|
|Profession||Hospital development liaison|
Bates earned a B.S. in Communication Arts from Xavier University in 1975. She later earned a Master's of Public Administration from Northern Kentucky University in 2005. Bates currently works as a hospital development liaison from LifeCenter Organ Donor Network. She previously served on the Ohio State Board of Education from 1995 to 2001. Bates has three children who have graduated from district schools.
Bates won a fourth term on the board against eight other candidates in the November 5, 2013 general election.
|Cincinnati Board of Education, At-large, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Melanie Bates Incumbent||18.1%||27,469|
|Nonpartisan||Marcia A. Futel||10.1%||15,368|
|Source: Hamilton County, Ohio Board of Elections, "Official Results," accessed December 13, 2013|
On October 14, 2013, The Cincinnati Enquirer endorsed Bates for one of four seats on the board.
Bates won re-election to the board against 11 other candidates on November 3, 2009.
|Cincinnati Board of Education, At-large, November 3, 2009|
|Nonpartisan||Melanie Bates Incumbent||14.8%||32,849|
|Nonpartisan||Catherine Ingram Incumbent||12.6%||27,953|
|Nonpartisan||Eileen Cooper Reed Incumbent||11.3%||25,220|
|Nonpartisan||Joyce E. Hooks||7.9%||17,630|
|Nonpartisan||Ceair J. Baggett||6.8%||15,055|
|Nonpartisan||Mary Welsh Schlueter||6.2%||13,776|
|Nonpartisan||Curtis A. Wells||3.6%||7,933|
|Source: Hamilton County Board of Elections|
In an interview with the League of Women Voters of the Cincinnati Area, Bates explained how she would improve district schools:
What was at stake?
Incumbent Bates was the only current member of the board seeking re-election in 2013. Eileen Cooper Reed and Catherine Ingram did not file for election and Vanessa White is seeking a seat on the Cincinnati City Council. Bates faced eight other candidates for four available seats on the board.
The district is contending with changing state standards for public schools embodied in the annual Ohio School Report Cards. Cincinnati Public Schools scored a C on the 2012-2013 report for overall performance and only met 45.8% of the state's performance indicators. Superintendent Mary Ronan and board members support strong standards though there is a concern that charter and private schools are not measured by the same standards.
About the district
- See also: Cincinnati Public Schools, Ohio
Cincinnati lags behind the rest of Ohio in terms of median income and poverty rate while outpacing the state in higher education attainment. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 31% of Cincinnati residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.5% rate for the state of Ohio. Cincinnati had a median income of $34,104 in 2010 compared to $48,071 for Ohio. The poverty rate for Cincinnati was 27.4% in 2010 compared to an 14.8% rate for the rest of the state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Melanie + Bates + Cincinnati + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Cincinnati Public Schools, "Melanie Bates," accessed September 12, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 26, 2013
- Cincinnati Enquirer, "ENDORSEMENT: Leading the public school system," October 14, 2013
- Smart Voter, "Melanie Bates Answers Questions," accessed September 13, 2013
- Local 12, "Ohio's school report cards are in," August 23, 2013
- Ohio Department of Education, "2012-2013 Report Card for Cincinnati Public Schools," accessed September 12, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Cincinnati," accessed September 13, 2013
- Hamilton County Board of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 13, 2013
- Smart Voter, "President Contests for Hamilton County," accessed September 13, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014