For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Minnesota State Senate, District 49|
|January 8, 2013 - present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Franzen served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Transportation and Public Safety|
Franzen's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "I will work to stop the erosion of our education system by promoting innovation, strengthening science and technology education, and working together with teachers and the community so that every child can achieve his or her full potential."
Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "I will support start-ups and entrepreneurs so they thrive in Minnesota. We must implement a simplified, transparent tax code and streamline the regulatory environment so that business can invest in Minnesota with confidence and predictability. "
Budget and Taxes
- Excerpt: "I will work for a budget that is balanced and sustainable over the long-term. I will also work to repair our complicated tax system."
Southwest Light Rail Transit
- Excerpt: "I support the development of the Southwest Light Rail Transit corridor. Light Rail is projected to create 60,000 new jobs along the corridor. The project has a broad base of support in the business community and by five local chambers of commerce."
- Excerpt: "I will work to move forward an implementation that puts the health and well-being of Minnesotans first. Access to affordable and quality health care, and cost-containment will be my focus."
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
Franzen won election in the 2012 election for Minnesota State Senate District 49. She ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14 and defeated Keith Downey (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota State Senate, District 49, General Election, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Franzen is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Franzen raised a total of $114,622 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 28, 2013.
|Melisa Franzen's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State Senate, District 49||$114,622|
|Grand Total Raised||$114,622|
2012Franzen won election to the Minnesota State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Franzen raised a total of $114,622.
|Minnesota State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Melisa Franzen's campaign in 2012|
|49th Senate District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$3,250|
|Elkins Steven (Steve) Senate Dist 41 Committee||$1,200|
|Friends Of Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party Women||$500|
|Committee Of Thirteen Legislative Fund||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$114,622|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from February 25 through May 19.
- Liberty Minnesota: 2014
- Legislators are scored on bills of interest to an organization advocating "limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on pro-choice issues.
In 2013, the Legislature was in session from January 8 to May 20.
- Americans for Prosperity Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored "on key votes on issues concerning economic freedom, which includes taxes, budgets and spending, health care and more."
- Minnesota Family Council: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to a socially conservative "pro-family" organization.
- Minnesota Majority: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on "a wide range of issues including taxes, government spending, elections, childcare unionization, property rights and energy policy" per "the traditional values position."
- Taxpayers League of Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to an economically conservative organization.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes regarding reproductive issues.
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Melisa + Franzen + Minnesota + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- "melisafranzen," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 25, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Minnesota State Canvassing Report - State Primary - Tuesday, August 14, 2012," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Franzen, Melisa." Retrieved June 28, 2013
- Liberty Minnesota, "About Us," accessed July 25, 2014
- Americans for Prosperity, "2013 Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Family Council, "2013 Minnesota Family Council Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Majority, "Scorecards," accessed July 26, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
Michelle Benson (R)
|Minnesota State Senate District 49
| Succeeded by|