Menlo Park City School District bond proposition, Measure W (November 2013)
The district estimated the tax rate required to fund the Measure W bond issue to be $8.7 per $100,000 of assessed valuation.
A 55% supermajority vote was required for approval.
- These final, certified results are from the San Mateo County elections office.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
| Measure W:
“To support high quality education, avoid student overcrowding at our existing schools as enrollment continues to increase, and renovate and expand educational facilities at the O’Connor Elementary School site planned to reopen in Menlo Park’s Willows neighborhood, all as described in the Bond Project List, shall the Menlo Park City School District issue $23 million of bonds at legal interest rates, establish an independent citizens’ oversight committee, perform annual audits, and use no bond money for teacher or administrator salaries?”
Support Menlo Park Schools led the campaign in favor of Measure W.
- State Senator Gerald Hill (D-13)
- State Assemblymember Rich Gordon (D-24)
- Joe Simitian, Santa Clara County Supervisor
- Don Horsley, San Mateo County Supervisor
- Dave Pine, San Mateo County Supervisor
- Warren Slocum, San Mateo County Supervisor
- Peter Ohtaki, Mayor of Menlo Park City Council
- Ray Mueller, Vice Mayor of Menlo Park City Council
- Rich Cline, Menlo Park City Council Member
- Kirsten Keith, Menlo Park City Council Member
- Catherine Carlton, Menlo Park City Council Member
- Ben Eiref, Vice Chair of the Menlo Park Planning Commission
- Katie Ferrick, Menlo Park Planning Commissioner
- Virginia Chang Kiraly, Menlo Park Fire Protection District Board Member
- Robert Silano, Menlo Park Fire Protection District Board Member
- Steve Schmidt, Former Menlo Park Mayor
- Jack O'Malley, Former Menlo Park Planning Commissioner
- San Mateo County Democratic Party
- Olivia G. Martinez, Sequoia Union High School District Trustee
- Alan Sarver, Sequoia Union High School District Trustee
- Chris Thomsen, Sequoia Union High School District Trustee
- Allen Weiner, Sequoia Union High School District Trustee
- Mark Box, Former Menlo Park City School District Trustee
- Bruce Ives, Former Menlo Park City School District Trustee
- Carol Orton, Former Menlo Park City School District Trustee
- Jeff Child, Menlo Park City School District Board of Trustees
- Maria Hilton, Menlo Park City School District Board of Trustees
- Joan Lambert, Menlo Park City School District Board of Trustees
- Laura Rich, Menlo Park City School District Board of Trustees
- Terry Thygesen, Menlo Park City School District Board of Trustees
- Kristen Gracia, Vice Principal of Oak Knoll School
- Carol Orton, Small Business Owner
- Tom LeMieux, Realtor
- Rebecca Bloom, Community Volunteer
- Nancy Kessler, Community Volunteer
Proponents of Measure P had outlined their arguments in the League of Women Voters’ Voter Guide. The arguments included the following:
- Measure W will resolve the need for additional classrooms and educational facilities due to population growth.
- The 25-year bond is estimated to cost the school district's property owners an annual average of $8.70 per $100,000 of assessed (not market) value. That's a small amount.
The League of Women Voters of California could not identify any opponents or opposing arguments, as stated in their voter's guide.
Tax Rate Summary
The following tax rate summary was provided by the League of Women Voters of California:
An election will be held in the Menlo Park City School District (the "District") on November 5, 2013, to authorize the sale of up to $23,000,000 in bonds of the District to finance school facilities as described in the measure. If the bonds are approved, the District plans to sell the bonds in one series over a period of approximately one year. Principal and interest on the bonds will be payable from the proceeds of tax levies made upon the taxable property in the District. The information presented in numbered paragraphs 1-3 below is provided in compliance with Sections 9400-9404 of the Elections Code of the State of California.
- San Mateo County local measures for November 5, 2013 election, Measure W
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Support Menlo Park Schools
- San Mateo County Democratic Party, "Endorsement Information for Candidates and Campaigns," accessed October 23, 2013
- League of Women Voters of California, "Measure W School Bond Menlo Park City School District," accessed October 23, 2013