For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Iowa State Senate District 6|
|Assistant Minority Leader, Iowa State Senate|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Iowa House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Luther College, 1983|
|Date of birth||March 16, 1961|
|Place of birth||Mason City, IA|
Bartz earned his B.A. from Luther College in 1983.
Bartz has worked in the following positions: Livestock and Grain Farming, Grafton Industries, David Manufacturing Company, Special Assistant to the Under Secretary for Natural Resources and Environment for the United States Department of Agriculture, and Central Region Assistant Chief for the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Bartz served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Bartz served on these committees:
- Appropriations Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Human Resources Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Natural Resources Committee, Iowa State Senate
- Ways and Means Committee, Iowa State Senate
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Bartz ran for re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. Due to redistricting he ran in district 26. Bartz ran unopposed in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012, and was defeated by District 8 incumbent Mary Jo Wilhelm in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa State Senate, District 26, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Mary Jo Wilhelm Incumbent||50.2%||15,530|
|Republican||Merlin Bartz Incumbent||49.8%||15,404|
On November 4, 2008, Bartz was elected to the 6th District Seat in the Iowa State Senate, defeating Doug Thompson (D) and Kenneth J. Abrams (I).  Bartz raised $101,582 for his campaign, while Thompson raised $150,462 and Abrams raised $0.
|Iowa State Senate, District 6 (2008)|
|Merlin Bartz (R)||14,299|
|Doug Thompson (D)||12,496|
|Kenneth J. Abrams||2,241|
In 2008 Bartz collected $101,582 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowans for Tax Relief||$5,000|
|Dryden, Steve and Patricia||$4,000|
|Iowa Republican Party||$3,800|
|Iowa Hospital Association||$2,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Merlin + Bartz + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Bartz and his wife, Lisa, have three children.
- Official Iowa State Senate website of Merlin Bartz
- Iowa Senate Republican Caucus Profile
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2002, 2000, 1998
- Merlin Bartz on Facebook
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "2008 Official election results," accessed April 7, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Money raised by 2008 Senate candidates," accessed April 8, 2014
- 2008 Contributions to Merlin Bartz
|Iowa State Senate District 6
| Succeeded by|
Mark Segebart (R)