|Utah House of Representatives District 68|
|January 1, 2013 - present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Per diem||$96/day (lodging) |
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Utah House of Representatives|
|1991 - 1992|
|Bachelor's||Brigham Young University, 1979|
|J.D.||Brigham Young University, 1982|
|Birthday||July 16, 1955|
Nelson earned both a Bachelor's degree and J.D. from Brigham Young University. He works as a lawyer.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Nelson served on the following committees:
|Utah Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Economic Development and Workforce Services|
|• Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment|
|• Retirement and Independent Entities, Vice-chair|
Nelson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "I want to be not only the "education candidate," but a strong voice for education in the Utah Legislature. Legislators should not be adversaries of educators. Neither should the Legislature act as a "super-school board" and dictate the education decisions of parents and local elected boards, teachers, and administrators."
- Economic Development
- Excerpt: "I favor free markets. Economic freedom goes hand-in-hand with political freedom. I will work to eliminate government regulations that inhibit free enterprise and economic growth. This includes federal regulations that shut down coal-fired electric plants, close public lands to mining and energy development, and place predators on grazing lands with livestock."
- Excerpt: "Federal payments for healthcare merely drive up the cost of health care, just as federal loan guaranties inflated the housing market and the cost of higher education. Socialized medicine is breaking the federal budget and will break state budgets as well unless we push back."
- Illegal Immigration
- Excerpt: "My heart goes out to families in other countries racked by poverty, crime, and violence. I too would seek a better life in another country. However, immigration must be legal and ordered, and defiance of our laws cannot be ignored. We must stop illegal immigration and enforce the sanctity of our borders and our laws."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "I fully support our constitutional right to bear arms."
Nelson won election in the 2012 election for Utah House of Representatives District 68. He advanced past the Republican convention, defeated incumbent Bill Wright in the June 26 Republican primary, and defeated Thomas Nedreberg (D) and Paul McCollaum, Jr. (Constitution) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Utah House of Representatives, District 68, General Election, 2012|
|Constitution||Paul McCollaum, Jr.||7.2%||953|
|Utah House of Representatives District 68 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Bill Wright Incumbent||47.7%||1,744|
Comprehensive donor information for Nelson is available dating back to 1998. Based on available campaign finance records, Nelson raised a total of $36,428 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 18, 2013.
|Merrill Nelson's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Utah State House, District 68||$23,001|
|1998||Utah State Senate, District 13||$13,427|
|Grand Total Raised||$36,428|
2012Nelson won election to the Utah House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Nelson raised a total of $23,001.
|Utah House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Merrill Nelson's campaign in 2012|
|Utah Education Association||$2,494|
|Dee, Brad L||$2,313|
|Utah Association Of Realtors||$2,000|
|Utah House Republican Elections Cmte||$2,000|
|Tooele County Republican Party||$1,900|
|Total Raised in 2012||$23,001|
|Source:Follow the Money|
1998Nelson lost the election for the Utah State Senate in 1998. During that election cycle, Nelson raised a total of $13,427.
|Utah State Senate 1998 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Merrill Nelson's campaign in 1998|
|Utah Republican Party||$6,723|
|Senate Republican Campaign Account||$2,500|
|Hospital Corp Of America||$500|
|Alliant Techsystems UT||$500|
|Total Raised in 1998||$13,427|
|Source:Follow the Money|
The Libertas Institute Index
The Libertas Institute is a libertarian-leaning think tank located in Utah. Each year the organization releases a Legislative Index for Utah State Representatives and Senators.
Merrill Nelson received an index rating of 48%.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Merril + Nelson + Utah + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website, Issues
- Utah 2012 candidate filings
- C-SPAN, "AP Elections Results Utah - Summary Vote Results," retrieved June 27, 2012
- Utah.Gov, "2012 Primary Election Results," accessed July 24, 2012
- Follow the Money, "Nelson, Merrill," accessed June 18, 2013
- Libertas Institute: "Legislator Indexes," accessed January 21, 2014
Bill Wright (R)
|Utah House of Representatives District 68
| Succeeded by|