|Fairfield School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 5, 2013|
Berding is the owner of Midwest Prescription Packaging. He has served as a youth sports coach and volunteered with the district's Diversity Committee. Berding and his wife, Susan, have four children and one grandchild who have attended district schools.
|Fairfield City School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Thomas Y. Heisler||23.2%||5,617|
|Nonpartisan||Laurence F. Jones III||17.2%||4,179|
|Source: Butler County Elections, "Election Summary Report for General Election in Butler County, Ohio," accessed December 13, 2013|
Berding's campaign website explained why he is seeking election to the board in 2013:
"Today, Michael wants to serve as a reasonable voice on Fairfield School Board. Someone that is a problem solver. Someone who is cooperative. Someone who will do what is best for the students, while protecting the investment of the taxpayer."
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
The board was clouded in controversy in 2011 when Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser investigated allegations of election fraud against three board members. Gmoser ultimately found that local businessman Tom Burer used a political action committee (PAC) called Moms on a Mission to funnel money to Sharon Ko, Mark Morris and Dan Murray in order to support his business interests. Burer held a $1.5 million contract with the district to provide maintenance services for school buses. Ko resigned rather than face prosecution by county officials while Gmoser did not have enough proof against Morris and Murray to pursue similar arrangements. Burer plead guilty to attempted tampering with campaign finance reports.
About the district
- See also: Fairfield City School District, Ohio
Fairfield outperforms the rest of Ohio in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 24.6% of Fairfield residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.5% rate for the state of Ohio. Fairfield had a median income of $54,581 in 2010 compared to $48,071 for Ohio. The poverty rate for Fairfield was 8.7% in 2010 compared to an 14.8% rate for the rest of the state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + Berding + Fairfield + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ohio school districts
- Fairfield City School District, Ohio
- Fairfield City School District elections (2013)
- Berding for Fairfield Schools, "Profile," accessed September 18, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 23, 2013
- Berding for Fairfield Schools, "About," accessed September 18, 2013
- Cincinnati.com, "3 Fairfield school board members implicated," September 8, 2011
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Fairfield," accessed September 17, 2013
- Butler County Board of Elections, "Archives," accessed September 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014