|South Dakota State Senate District 33|
|South Dakota House of Representatives|
|High school||Steven's High School|
|Bachelor's||University of South Dakota|
|Master's||National American University|
|Profession||Businessman, former law enforcement officer|
He currently serves as President of Real Estate Operations at National American University Holdings, Inc.
Buckingham earned a BA in Political Science from the University of South Dakota and an MBA with emphasis in marketing from National American University. He previously served on the Rapid City School board.
Buckingham describes himself as a staunch fiscal conservative. Given his current position at NAU and his past position as a member of the Rapid City school board, education policy is his main area of legislative expertise. He states, " I believe passionately that a good education is vital to building strong families, a prospering community, and a community that can compete in the global economy." Additionally, he is pro-gun and claims to have "advanced gun owners' rights or stopped proposed gun restrictions" during his previous tenure in the legislature.
Buckingham ran in the 2012 election for South Dakota State Senate District 33. He was defeated by District 33 Rep. Phil Jensen in the Republican primary on June 5. No Democratic candidates filed for election. The general election took place on November 6, 2012. Incumbent Elizabeth Kraus (R) is not running for re-election.
|South Dakota State Senate District 33 Republican Primary, 2012|
Buckingham and his wife have two children - Robin, a veterinarian, and Jeramy, a Navy veteran and current nursing student.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Michael + Buckingham + South Dakota + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- High school activities association leaders voted to steer ticket money to ... - Vermillion Plain Talk
- Bloomberg Businessweek "Executive Profile, Micheal Buckingham," Accessed May 8, 2012
- Buckingham for Senate "About Mike," Accessed May 8, 2012
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," Accessed April 11, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State "Official Primary Results," June 12, 2012