Michael D. Riley
|Michael D. Riley|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|West Virginia Commissioner of Insurance|
|July 1, 2011 - Present|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||July 1, 2011|
|Assistant West Virginia Insurance Commissioner|
|Master's||Marshall University (1991)|
Riley earned a BBA and MBA from Marshall University. He has worked for the West Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner since 2001 and most recently served as the Assistant Commissioner of Regulation under then-Insurance Commissioner Jane Cline.
- BS, Business administration, Marshall University
- MBA, Marshall University
West Virginia Commissioner of Insurance (July 2011 - Present)
Riley was named Acting Insurance Commissioner on July 1, 2011. His appointment became official on January 9, 2012. As commissioner, he is responsible for the regulation of West Virginia's insurance market and the protection of insurance consumers. Riley played a key role in the transition of the West Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission from a state-run system to a private system.
The Commissioner of Insurance is an appointed position in West Virginia. The governor nominates a candidate to the state senate, and the senate confirms the nominee. The incumbent serves at the will and pleasure of the governor for the term for which the governor was elected and remains in office until their successor has been appointed and qualified. The commissioner's initial appointment is for a period of 6 years. Riley was named Acting Insurance Commissioner on July 1, 2011, but was officially appointed to the position on January 9, 2012.
Riley lives in South Charleston, WV with his wife and two daughters.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + Riley + West + Virginia + Insurance"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- West Virginia Department of Insurance
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- LinkedIn profile
- West Virginia Department of Insurance, "Acting Commissioner Michael D. Riley," accessed December 29, 2011
- West Virginia Insurance Commission, "Press Releases" accessed November 23, 2012
- West Virginia Governor, "Governor announces Michael D. Riley as acting commissioner of the West Virginia offices of the insurance commissioner," June 21, 2011
- West Virginia Code, Chapter 33, Article 2, Section 1, Accessed June 29, 2011
|West Virginia Commissioner of Insurance
| Succeeded by|