New York State Senate, District 40
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2010
Kaplowitz campaign website lists several main issues:
- Lower Property Taxes: "Residents throughout the Hudson Valley are struggling under backbreaking tax burdens. Mike has a plan that will not only cap property taxes – it will lower them. He will lower property taxes by enacting a property tax cap, lowering the county property tax burden by 35% by expanding the cap for local government Medicaid expenses, aggressively pursuing Medicaid fraud, pushing for the sharing of Medicaid fraud recoveries with local governments, passing a moratorium on unfunded mandates, and proposing comprehensive mandate reform, cutting billions in school property taxes by enacting a property tax cap, instituting a new STAR “circuit breaker” tax rebate program for working families, and providing comprehensive mandate relief for our school district"
- Tackle the State's Fiscal Crisis: "New York’s fiscal house is in disarray. Mike will use the skill-set he has developed as a small business owner, financial planner and local legislator to clean up the mess, and his plans will save New Yorkers billion of dollars and put our create state back on the road to fiscal sanity."
- Create and Save Jobs: "Mike will create jobs by lowering taxes on businesses and repealing the MTA tax, promoting his Green Collar jobs program (which will create 22,000 jobs by 2025), pushing for construction of a new Tappan Zee Bridge and development of a new Stewart Airport, and by providing state tax credits for small businesses to hire new workers."
- Protecting Women’s Rights: "Mike is 100% committed to protecting and enhancing women’s rights. Mike is a fierce defender of women’s reproductive rights and will always protect their right to choose. Mike is staunch supporter of an equal pay act, will help close the wage gap and ensure all hardworking New Yorkers are paid a fair wage for a day’s work. "
- Cleaning Up The Ethical Mess In Albany: "The ethical mess in Albany has turned our state government into a disgrace. This is why Mike is commited to comprehensive reform and was the first candidate to sign onto all five reform pledges. Mike is committed to term limits for Senate leadership, establishing an independent budget watchdog, creating an independent redistricting commission, and ending ‘Pay to Play’ campaign contributions from those doing business with the state and their lobbyists."
- Protect the Environment: "Mike previously chaired Westchester County’s Environmental Committee for six years. Mike was endorsed by the leading environmental groups because he understands that caring for the environment is about a lot more than just preserving open space. He is committed to clean energy because it is critical for conservation and environmental protection and also because it is a smart economic investment -- clean energy will create green jobs and promote sustainable growth..."
"Mr. Kaplowitz is an attorney and a Certified Financial Planning practitioner. Legislator Kaplowitz earned his B.A. in history from the University of Pennsylvania and J.D. from the Boston University School of Law."
"In the county legislature, Mike has served as Budget & Appropriations Committee Chairman, Environment & Energy Committee Chairman, and as Vice-Chairman of the Board. Currently, he chairs the legislature’s Committee on Government Operations, Efficiency & Savings."
Committee for Michael Kaplowitz
PO Box 1342
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
Kaplowitz for Senate
2 Church Street
Carmel, NY 10512
To email the campaign use the web form here.
- Official campaign website
- Official campaign facebook page
- Official campaign twitter page
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Daily Freeman, "40th SD: Two lawmakers vie for vacant seat," October 29, 2010
- Yorktown Patch, "The Race for the NYS Senate 40th District Seat," October 28, 2010