|Colorado State Senate, District 11|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Colorado House of Representatives|
|Manitou Springs City Council|
|1996 to 2000|
Merrifield's professional experience includes working as a teacher and Director of Choirs at Coronado High School.
- Education Committee (Chair)
- Education, Colorado General Assembly (Vice Chair)
- Transportation, Colorado General Assembly
- Transportation & Energy Committee
Merrifield did not provide answers to the Colorado State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
Colorado Senate Bill 57
As a member of the Colorado House Education Committee, Merrifield voted against Colorado Senate Bill 57]], also known as the Public School Financial Transparency Act, a bill to create transparency in state education expenditures. Merrifield received substantial campaign contributions from the Colorado Education Association, which lobbied against the bill's passage.
Merrifield's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 09-1107 - HOA Limits On Energy Efficiency Measures
- HB 09-1312 - Renewable Energy Loans For Schools
- HB 09-1326 - Integrity Of Citizen-Initiated Petitions
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
- See also: Colorado State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Colorado State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 24, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 31, 2014. Michael Merrifield was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Bernie Herpin was unopposed in the Republican primary. Merrifield, Herpin and Norman Dawson (L) will face off in the general election.
Merrifield was ineligible to run for re-election to the 18th District seat due to the term limits of the Colorado House of Representatives.
Merrifield raised $50,948 for his campaign, while Szot raised $429.
|Colorado State House, District 18 (2008)|
|Michael Merrifield (D)||17,231|
|Katherine Szot (R)||9,980|
Below are Merrifield's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|CO Education Assoc||$4,250|
|CO Professional Fire Fighters||$4,000|
|Food & Commercial Workers Local 7||$4,000|
|CO State Conference of Electrical Workers||$2,000|
- Michael Merrifield's personal website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000
- Michael Merrifield on Facebook
- Mike Merrifield on LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed April 29, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Issue Positions," accessed April 29, 2104
- Independence Institute blog, The House Education Committee, March 18, 2009
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed May 1, 2014
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed June 25, 2014
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Unofficial general election candidate list," accessed July 23, 2014
- Colorado Secretary of State, "2008 General election results," accessed April 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Funds raised by 2008 House candidates," accessed April 14, 2014
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Colorado House District 18
| Succeeded by|