|North Carolina House of Representatives District 3|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Associate's||Craven County Community College, 2004|
|Service/branch||United States Marines|
|Years of service||20|
|Place of birth||Chicago, IL|
Speciale earned an A.A.S. in Business Management from Craven County Community College in 2004. He previously attended the Basic Law Enforcement Training program at Craven County Community College in 1995. Speciale has worked as an account manager for Salem Tools. He served in the United States Marines for 20 years.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Speciale served on the following committees:
|North Carolina Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Commerce and Job Development|
|• Homeland Security, Military, and Veterans Affairs, Vice Chair|
|• Regulatory Reform|
Elections for the office of North Carolina House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 6, 2014. The general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 28, 2014. Incumbent Michael Speciale was unopposed in the Republican primary, while Whit Whitley was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Speciale defeated Whitley in the general election.
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 3 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Michael Speciale Incumbent||58.1%||14,584|
Speciale ran in the 2012 election for North Carolina House of Representatives District 3. He defeated Wayne Langston and Clayton Tripp in the Republican primary on May 8, 2012. Speciale defeated Robert B. Cayton in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 3, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Robert B. Cayton||40.8%||14,320|
|North Carolina House of Representatives District 3 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Speciale is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Speciale raised a total of $143,938 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 29, 2013.
|Michael Speciale's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||North Carolina House of Representatives, District 3||$143,938|
|Grand Total Raised||$143,938|
2012Speciale won election to the North Carolina House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Speciale raised a total of $143,938.
|North Carolina House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Michael Speciale's campaign in 2012|
|North Carolina Republican Party||$99,541|
|Branch Banking & Trust Corp||$4,000|
|Friends of Ruth Samuelson||$4,000|
|North Carolina Republican House Caucus||$3,168|
|Catlin for North Carolina House||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$143,938|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2013, the North Carolina General Assembly was in session from January 9 to July 26. In 2014, the North Carolina General Assembly will be in session from May 14 through a date to be determined by the legislature.
- North Carolina League of Conservation Voters: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on environment and conservation issues.
- The American Conservative Union: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
- Civitas Action: 2013 Full Rankings
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues and ideals.
- Environment North Carolina: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key environmental issues.
- Environment North Carolina: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Democracy North Carolina: 2013 Legislative Report Card
- Legislators are scored on their votes on 20 bills picked by the organization that they consider the worst of the session.
- N.C. Values Coalition: 2014 Pro-family Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills relating to pro-family and Biblical values.
- North Carolina Voters for Animal Welfare: 2014 Legislative Report Cards
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills relating to animal welfare, sponsoring animal welfare bills, completing the NCVAW survey and responsiveness to animal advocates constituents.
Speciale and his wife, Hazel, have two children. They currently reside in New Bern, North Carolina.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Michael + Speciale + North Carolina + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Carolina House of Representatives
- House Committees
- North Carolina General Assembly
- North Carolina state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the North Carolina House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Michael Speciale on Facebook
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Primary Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed March 7, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "General Election Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed August 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "05/06/2014 Official Primary Election Results - Statewide," accessed December 5, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "11/04/2014 Official General Election Results - Statewide," accessed December 5, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "2012 Primary Election Results," accessed June 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "2012 General Election Results," accessed June 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Official Primary Election Results," accessed June 22, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Speciale, Michael David," accessed August 29, 2013
Norman Sanderson (R)
|North Carolina House - District 3
| Succeeded by|
State of North Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utilities |