Micheal Anderson and Matt Joppich, Hesperia School District, Michigan (2013)
An effort to recall Micheal Anderson and Matt Joppich from their positions as school board members of Hesperia School District, Michigan was held on November 5, 2013.
Constituents voted for two school board members. The list included Anderson and Joppich and their challengers, Scott Wenberg, Xendra Sheppard and Carrie Kruppe.
Micheal Anderson was recalled from his seat on the school board and was replaced by Scott Wenberg.
Matt Joppich retained his seat on the school board.
The following are the unofficial results of the recall attempt:
1. Matthew Joppich: 567 or 24.76%
2. Scott Wenberg: 565 or 24.67%
3. Micheal Anderson: 540 or 23.58%
4. Xendra Sheppard: 530 or 23.14%
5. Carrie Kruppe: 88 or 3.84%
The recall effort was launched by "Citizens for Total Education" following the board's decision not to renew Doug Baird's contract to coach wrestling. Baird was kept as a teacher and cross-country coach. The board's actions came after Baird was reprimanded for two incidents: "alleged used of marijuana by Hesperia wrestlers while on an overnight trip and failure to report alleged inappropriate touching between two students." Both Anderson and Joppich voted to not renew Baird's contract.
"Citizens for Total Education" argued that the school board ignored residents that questioned the actions towards Baird.
Supporters of the school board members said that Baird needed to be held accountable.
- Micheal Anderson: Has served on the Hesperia school board for 24 years.
- Matt Joppich: Joppich, current school board member, is vice president of Hazekamp Meats.
- Xendra Sheppard: Vice president of Willow Cold Storage in Walkerville. She is supported by recall organizers.
- Scott Wenberg: Former air traffic controller in Muskegon. Previously ran for school board in November 2012.
- Carrie Kruppe: Accounting and tax preparation. Previously ran for school board in November 2012.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Michigan
A total of 315 signatures were required to move the recall forward. Oceana County Clerk Rebecca Griffin reported that nearly 600 signatures were submitted. According to reports, the signatures were collected in a five day period.
Board member Jeff Thome was originally included in the recall effort. He challenged the recall petition wording in circuit court. He lost the appeal but there was insufficient time to place his recall on the November ballot. According to recall organizers, an effort may be relaunched for February.
- Recall campaigns in Michigan
- Political recall efforts, 2013
- School board recalls
- List of school districts in Michigan
- Hesperia School District
- Hesperia School District School Board
- Oceana, Michigan elections and election results
- The Recall Blog,"Michigan: Good look at the Hesperia school board recall," November 1, 2013
- MichiganLive.com, "Hesperia school board recall election results in one ousted and one retained", November 6, 2013
- MLive.com,"Election 2013: Hesperia deeply divided over school board recall related to wrestling coach's ouster," November 1, 2013
- Oceana, Michigan Election,"November 5th, 2013 - Election," accessed November 5, 2013
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |