For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Michigan House of Representatives District 107
|Michigan House of Representatives District 107|
|Current incumbent||Frank Foster|
|Gender||52.0% Male, 48.0% Female|
|Race||81.8% White, 10.7% Native American, 3.6% Two or More Races, 3.2% Black, 0.5% Asian, 0.2% Other|
|Ethnicity||98.8% Non-Hispanic, 1.2% Hispanic|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 86,648 civilians reside within Michigan's hundred and seventh state house district. Michigan state representatives represent an average of 89,851 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 90,349 residents.
About the office
Section 7 of Article 4 of the Michigan Constitution states, "Each senator and representative must be a citizen of the United States, at least 21 years of age, and an elector of the district he represents. The removal of his domicile from the district shall be deemed a vacation of the office. No person who has been convicted of subversion or who has within the preceding 20 years been convicted of a felony involving a breach of public trust shall be eligible for either house of the legislature."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Michigan Legislature are paid $71,685/year. Legislators can use up to $10,800/year for expenses.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
The Michigan legislature is one of 15 state legislatures with term limits. Voters enacted the Michigan Term Limits Act in 1992. That initiative said that Michigan representatives are subject to term limits of no more than three two-year terms, or a total of six years.
The first year that the term limits enacted in 1992 impacted the ability of incumbents to run for office was in 2002.
Whenever a vacancy occurs in the house, it is up to the Governor to call for a special election. A special election must be held during the next scheduled general election. If the vacancy happened after the statewide primary, leaders of the respective party organizations within the Senate district can submit a list of nominees to be voted on by party leadership. A vote must be held no later than 21 days after the vacancy.
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Jim Page was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Frank Foster was defeated by Lee Chatfield in the Republican primary. Chatfield then defeated Page in the general election.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 107 General Election, 2014|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 107 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Frank Foster Incumbent||45.9%||5,570|
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on August 7, 2012 and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for major party candidates wishing to run in this election was May 15, 2012. The deadline for independent candidates was July 19, 2012. The deadline for write-in candidates was July 27, 2012. Incumbent Frank Foster (R) defeated Suzanne Shumway (D) in the general election. Foster was unopposed in the Republican primary. Shumway defeated Jim Martin in the Democratic primary.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 107, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Frank Foster Incumbent||58%||25,301|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 107 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Since 2000, candidates for Michigan House of Representatives District 107 have raised a total of $1,772,551. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $104,268 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Michigan House of Representatives District 107|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- Michigan Department of Technology, Management & Budget, "Demographic Profiles of Michigan House Districts: 2010 Census." Retrieved October 29, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed September 11, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population," April 2, 2001. Accessed February 13, 2014
- michiganinbrief.org, "Term limits," accessed December 17, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Michigan Legislature, "Michigan Election Law," accessed December 17, 2013(Referenced Statute 168.178, Michigan Compiled Laws)
- Michigan Legislature, "Michigan Election Law," accessed December 17, 2013(Referenced Statute 168.634 (1)-(2), Michigan Compiled Laws)
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed August 6, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed December 5, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed September 8, 2014
- Michigan Department of State, "Unofficial General Election Results as of November 5, 2014," accessed November 6, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2012 Michigan Election Dates.” Retrieved October 29, 2013
- Michigan Secretary of State, 2012 primary election results. Retrieved October 29, 2013
- Michigan Secretary of State, 2010 general election results. Retrieved October 29, 2013
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |