Cities in Michigan
Michigan allows municipal charter cities and counties. There are 83 total counties in Michigan. Of those 83:
Types of local government
Local government in Michigan consists of:
- 277 city governments
- 256 village governments
- 1240 township governments
- 83 county governments
- In addition, there are 445 special districts and 576 independent school districts.
Counties may be general law or chartered. 2 counties, Wayne and Macomb, are governed under a charter.
All 277 cities are governed under a charter. Villages have the option of adopting a charter, and 46 have done so.
Initiative process availability
An initiative process is available in:
- 2 charter counties which have a mandated initiative process.
- 46 Home-rule villages which have a mandated initiative process.
- 277 charter cities which have a mandated initiative process for charter amendments. Cities may also adopt initiative for ordinances in their charter, and many have done so.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Michigan|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Michigan cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)