For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Michigan Secretary of State election, 2014
August 5, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
This seat was targeted during the general election by SOS for Democracy and SOS for SOS, outside groups who were lobbying for liberal and conservative secretary of state candidates, respectively.
Michigan is one of 14 states that uses an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary. The attorney general and secretary of state did not appear on the primary ballot, and the gubernatorial and lieutenant gubernatorial positions did not have contested primaries in 2014.
|Secretary of State of Michigan, 2014|
|Republican||Ruth Johnson Incumbent||53.5%||1,649,047|
|U.S. Taxpayer||Robert Gale||1.1%||34,447|
|Natural Law||Jason Gatties||0.4%||13,185|
|Election Results via Michigan Department of State.|
Godfrey Dillard and Ruth Johnson spoke about their reasons for seeking the secretary of state's office on their campaign websites. The following sections quote candidate statements verbatim from their websites.
Reduce Fees - Driving is a necessity. As a state we should be doing more to make sure we can train and license as many people as possible to drive. Removing the high cost of getting a license is just one way we can train more people to be safe drivers. Godfrey Dillard is your consumer advocate dedicated to finding ways to reduce the costs and fees for all licensing from boats to motorcycles as well as the yearly requirement for vehicle registrations.
Protect Privacy - People are not products or inventory in a grocery store. How much information is stored in your bar-code, who is your personal information being shared with and what happens to your information every time someone swipes your license through a machine? Godfrey Dillard is committed to protecting your private information and making oversite of your privacy a number one priority. Time to pull back the veil of secrecy covering the use of our private, bar-coded information.
No More Long Lines - Godfrey Dillard will make it easier to keep your license and tabs up to date by increasing the number of clerks as well as advocating for multiple year tabs and registration so you don't have to pay every year for the rest of your life just to have a license plate. We can do better than that. You deserve more on your birthday. 
—Godfrey Dillard's campaign website, (2014), 
Ruth Johnson has always been a fighter. Since she was elected in 2010, she’s fought to change the way government works for you – to protect your vote, to improve customer service and to make government more accountable to the people it serves:
Customer Service – Better. Faster. More Convenient.
Election Integrity – Ruth fought for – and won – the most comprehensive election reform in recent history:
Caring for veterans and Michigan families
—Ruth Johnson's campaign website, (2014), 
|Michigan Secretary of State - Johnson vs. Dillard|
|Poll||Ruth Johnson * (R)||Godfrey Dillard (D)||Other||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
September 25-29, 2014
October 17-19, 2014
October 26-28, 2014
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to|
- An asterisk (*) denotes incumbent status.
|2010 Race for Attorney General - General Election|
|Republican Party||Ruth Johnson||50.7%|
|Democratic Party||Jocelyn Benson||45.2%|
|Libertarian Party||Scotty Boman||1.8%|
|U.S. Taxpayers||Robert Gale||1.3%|
|Green Party||John A. La Pietra||1.0%|
|April 22, 2014||Filing deadline for political party candidates|
|July 7, 2014||Filing deadline for minor party candidates|
|August 5, 2014||Primary election|
|November 4, 2014||General election|
|January 1, 2015||Inauguration day for state executive officials elected in November|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michigan + secretary + state + election"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan Secretary of State
- Michigan state executive official elections, 2014
- State executive official elections, 2014
- Office of the Secretary of State of Michigan
- James Lewis Facebook
- U.S. Taxpayers Party of Michigan announces 2014 candidates
- SOS for Democracy, "Races to Watch," accessed October 23, 2014
- SOS for SOS, "Home," accessed October 23, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Filing Requirements for Secretary of State and Attorney General: 2014 Election Cycle," accessed August 5, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Godfrey Dillard for Secretary of State, "Platform Details," accessed October 24, 2014
- Ruth Johnson for Michigan, "About Ruth," accessed October 24, 2014
- Michigan Department of State - 2010 General Election Results
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |