|South Carolina Superintendent of Education|
|January 12, 2011 - Present|
|Years in position||3|
|Predecessor||Jim Rex (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||United States Military Academy at West Point (1969)|
|Master's||Fort Leavenworth School for Advanced Military Studies; University of Washington|
|Ph.D.||University of Washington (1986)|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1969-2000|
|Birthday||December 10, 1946|
Before winning public election as the seventeenth State Superintendent of Education, Zais served as President of Newberry College for ten years. A graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, he served thirty-one years on active duty in the United States Army, retiring as a Brigadier General.
- Bachelor's of Science degree in engineering from West Point
- Masters of Science and Doctorate degrees in social psychology and organizational behavior from the University of Washington
- Master of Arts degree in military history from the School for Advanced Military Studies at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
- Research Fellow in National Security Studies at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C.
Superintendent of Education (2011-present)
Zais was first elected in 2010 and assumed office on January 12, 2011.
Dispute with Board of Education
A showdown between Zais and the state Board of Education began in early December 2011. Upset at Zais for refusing to seek federal grant money earlier in the year, the Board passed a rule that the Superintendent was to report monthly on federal grants available to the state. Zais responded by saying that the doesn't answer to the Board and would not comply with the rule. The board held a meeting on December 8 to resolve the issue, but Zais did not show. According to his spokesman, Zais was on a "long scheduled" vacation. The board said that if the matter could not be dealt with by December 23, they will take Zais to court.
Zais was eligible to run for re-election as South Carolina Superintendent of Education in 2014, but announced in December, 2013 that he would not seek a second term.
“After much prayer and thoughtful consideration with my family, I have decided not to seek re-election as state superintendent of education,” Zaid said in a statement. “This was a very difficult decision. I was preparing for, and looking forward to, a re-election campaign. I’m confident I would have run a strong campaign and would have been re-elected.” “My campaign was never a stepping stone to higher office. Rather, it was the culmination of a lifetime of service.”
|South Carolina Superintendent of Education, 2010|
|Green||Doretha A. Bull||1.6%||20,787|
|Election Results Via: South Carolina State Election Commission|
Comprehensive donor information for Zais is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Zais raised a total of $450,240 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 11, 2013.
|Mick Zais's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||SC Superintendent of Public Instruction||$20,882|
|2010||SC Superintendent of Public Instruction||$429,358|
|Grand Total Raised||$450,240|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Mick Zais's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Mick Zais's Campaign Contributions|
South Carolina Superintendent of Education
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$599,632 (Dem)|
|Top 5 contributors||Mick Zais||$65,000|
|South Carolina Republican Party||$49,500|
|Joe A Edens, Jr.||$8,000|
|John S Rainey||$4,000|
|Bills Marlin LLC||$3,600|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mick + Zais + South + Carolina + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Superintendent of Schools
- South Carolina Superintendent of Education
- Governor of South Carolina
- South Carolina school districts
- South Carolina Department of Education
- Zais' official biography
- South Carolina Department of Education
- Official campaign website
- Facebook profile
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- South Carolina Department of Education "Superintendent" Accessed November 4, 2012
- The Herald "SC Senate Panel: Let governor choose state schools chief," February 14, 2013
- GoUpstate, "SC education chief says he won't report to board," December 6, 2011
- The Herald, "State ed. Board may sue Zais over reporting," December 9, 2011
- The State, ELECTION 2014: Mick Zais won't seek re-election for SC education superintendent, December 13, 2013
- Follow the Money, " Career fundraising for Mick Zais," accessed May 11, 2013
- Follow the Money.org
Jim Rex (D)
|South Carolina Superintendent of Education
| Succeeded by|