Middletown Township School District elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Middletown Township School District
Monmouth County, New Jersey ballot measures
Local ballot measures, New Jersey
Three seats on the Middletown Township School District school board were up for general election on November 5, 2013. Michael A. Donlon, Vincent S. Brand and Bob Banta defeated seven challengers to win three at-large seats.
About the districtMonmouth County, New Jersey. The county seat of Monmouth County is Freehold Borough. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Monmouth County was home to 629,384 residents.
Monmouth County outperformed in comparison to the rest of New Jersey in terms of median household income according to the 2010 U.S. Census. The median household income in Monmouth County was $83,842 compared to $71,180 for the state of New Jersey. The poverty rate in Monmouth County was 6.5% compared to 9.4% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 39.6% of Monmouth County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 35.0% in New Jersey.
Method of board member selection
The Middletown Township school board consists of nine members elected to three-year terms at-large by the district as a whole. There was no primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats were on the ballot in 2013.
The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the 2013 general election was June 4.
|Middletown Township School District, At-large General Election, 3-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Michael A. Donlon||17.2%||5,474|
|Nonpartisan||Vincent S. Brand Incumbent||12.9%||4,097|
|Nonpartisan||John Bennett, Jr. Incumbent||10.9%||3,463|
|Nonpartisan||Michael J. Ostrander, Jr.||10.9%||3,462|
|Nonpartisan||Richard G. Campbell||9.3%||2,955|
|Nonpartisan||Christopher J. Aveta Incumbent||7.8%||2,482|
|Source: Monmouth County, New Jersey, "11/05/2013 - November General Election," November 20, 2013|
No endorsements were made in this election.
No contributions or expenditures were reported during the election, according to the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
There were three seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Incumbents Christopher J. Aveta, Vincent S. Brand and John Bennett, Jr. all filed for re-election to keep their seats and competed with seven newcomers in the at-large race. Challengers Michael A. Donlon, Richard G. Campbell and Michael Craig ran unsuccessfully in 2012 for seats on the Middletown Township school board.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Middletown Township School District election in 2013:
|June 4, 2013||Last day for filing nominating petitions in school board elections|
|June 10, 2013||Last day to challenge nominating petitions in school board elections|
|August 12, 2013||County clerk draws ballot positions for candidates|
|September 6, 2013||Last day for candidates to withdraw from the general election ballot|
|November 5, 2013||General election|
|December 3, 2013||Certification of election results by Board of State Canvassers|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with local and state elections, including the race for Governor along with seats in the New Jersey State Assembly and New Jersey State Senate. The November 5 ballot included proposed constitutional amendments that would establish cost of living adjustments for the state minimum wage and use gaming profits for veterans' organizations.
- New Jersey
- Middletown Township School District, New Jersey
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Monmouth County, New Jersey ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, New Jersey
- Financial policies, education standards at stake in November school board elections
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- United States Census Bureau, "Monmouth County, New Jersey," accessed October 28, 2013
- State of New Jersey Department of State, "Statewide Voter Registration Summary," accessed October 27, 2013
- Middletown Township School District, "0141 Board Member Number and Term," accessed October 28, 2013
- State of New Jersey Department of State, "2013 General Election Timeline," accessed October 28, 2013
- New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission, "Standard Search," Accessed December 27, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 Election Information," accessed October 21, 2013