Midwest City-Del City Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Midwest City-Del City Schools
Oklahoma County, Oklahoma ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
One seat on the Midwest City-Del City Schools school board was up for general election on February 11, 2014. James F. Howell ran unopposed for the vacant Ward 4 seat and won the seat by default without appearing on the ballot.
About the district
- See also: Midwest City-Del City Schools, Oklahoma
Oklahoma County outperformed the rest of Oklahoma in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 29.3 percent of Oklahoma County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 23.2 percent for Oklahoma as a whole. The median household income in Oklahoma County was $45,082 compared to $44,891 for the state of Oklahoma. The poverty rate in Oklahoma County was 17.8 percent compared to 16.6 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Midwest City-Del City school board consists of five members elected to five-year terms by geographic electoral districts. There was no primary election and the general election was held on February 11, 2014. The Ward 4 seat was on the ballot in 2014, and the Ward 5 seat will be on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 2, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was December 4, 2013 and the deadline to contest a candidacy was December 6, 2013.
- James F. Howell
- Graduate, University of Oklahoma
- Attorney, James F. Howell Inc. and Associates
- Former Oklahoma State Senator
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 2, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 4, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 6, 2013||Last day to contest a candidacy|
|February 1, 2014||Last day to file first campaign finance report|
|February 11, 2014||Election day|
|March 23, 2014||Last day to file second campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Runoff election (if necessary)|
|August 21, 2014||Last day to file final campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with two school bond referendums, which were both approved by voters. Proposition 1 raised $10,005,000 in order to fund significant improvements to security equipment and preparation in district schools. The remaining Proposition 1 funds went to technology upgrades and several smaller miscellaneous projects. Proposition 2 raised $400,000 in order to replace several older school buses. The district pledged to pay off the bond measures within five years of their passage. Both referendums required a minimum of 60% voter support in order to pass.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mid-Del + City + Schools + Oklahoma"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Midwest City-Del City Schools, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Oklahoma County, Oklahoma ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
- 2014 school board elections start quietly in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma school board elections see low turnout, most uncontested
- The Oklahoman, "Oklahoma County Election Board filings," December 5, 2013
- Oklahoma State Election Board, "Annual School Election — February 11, 2014," accessed February 12, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Oklahoma County, Oklahoma," accessed January 15, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- Oklahoma, "MESA - Current Registration Statistics by County," accessed January 15, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Mid-Del Schools, "Board of Education," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "2014 Instructions for Filing for Annual School Elections," accessed January 15, 2014
- EastWord News, "Griel leaves school board post," December 26, 2013
- Oklahoma, "Candidate Information," accessed February 12, 2014
- Information submitted to Ballotpedia through e-mail from the Oklahoma County Election Board on November 14, 2013.
- Oklahoma, "Generic Calendar for Filing Campaign Contributions and Expenditure Reports(C-1's)," accessed January 15, 2014
- Mid-Del Schools, "Total Bond Issue: $10,405,000," accessed January 15, 2014
- Mid-Del Schools, "February 11, 2014 Bond Election," accessed January 15, 2014
|2014 Midwest City-Del City Schools Elections|
|Midwest City, Oklahoma|
|Election date:||February 11, 2014|
|Candidates:||Ward 4: • James F. Howell|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|