Miguel Diaz de la Portilla
|Miguel Diaz de la Portilla|
|Florida State Senate, District 40|
|2010 - present|
|November 17, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||2 terms (8 years)|
|Bachelor's||University of Miami, 1984|
|J.D.||University of Miami, 1987|
Diaz de la Portilla served as a Miami-Dade County Commissioner from 1993 to 1999, and has participated on a number of regional government commissions and boards.
Diaz de la Portilla earned his B.A. in Philosophy and English Literature and his J.D. from the University of Miami in 1984 and 1987, respectively. His professional experience includes working as a shareholder in the law firm of Becker and Poliakoff; his area of practice includes government procurement, bid protests, zoning and land use.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Portilla served on the following committees:
|Florida Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Banking and Insurance|
|• Children, Families, and Elder Affairs|
|• Ethics and Elections|
|• Administrative Procedures|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Diaz de la Portilla served on the following committees:
|Florida Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Communications, Energy, and Public Utilities|
|• Health Regulation|
|• Regulated Industries|
Diaz de la Portilla's website highlighted the following campaign themes.
- Excerpt: "As State Senator, I will fight to improve our public schools and work to give teachers raises, while continuing to give parents the right of school choice in order to make the best educational decisions for their children."
- Rebuilding Our Economy and Lowering Taxes
- Excerpt: "In the State Senate, I will work tirelessly to grow Florida’s economy by moving government out of the way and supporting an environment in which businesses can thrive by reducing the burden on American workers, small businesses and entrepreneurs."
- Excerpt: "I realize that government is not the solution to getting our economy back on track, but rather the investment of small businesses, the ingenuity of entrepreneurs and the creativity of individuals are the engines that will drive Florida's economy."
- Excerpt: "I believe that the government's role in health care should be to protect and serve our state's most vulnerable residents – children, elderly and the disabled. Outside of that, I advocate for free market principles to allow Floridians to make their own health care decisions."
- Excerpt: "I am a pro-life conservative who is unwavering in my commitment to protect family values and the sanctity of human life."
- Defending Our Second Amendment Rights
- Excerpt: "In the Florida Senate, I will fight to ensure that all of our Constitutional rights are protected and maintain the responsibility of lawmakers to ensure that criminals who violate the law are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, rather than restricting the rights of law abiding citizens."
- Property Rights
- Excerpt: "I am committed to protecting the private property rights of all Floridians. By protecting individual property rights, we also secure our other freedoms as Americans."
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Florida State Senate will consist of a primary election on August 26, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 20, 2014. Incumbent Miguel Diaz de la Portilla is unopposed in the Republican primary.
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2012
Diaz de la Portilla won re-election in the 2012 election for Florida State Senate District 40. Diaz de la Portilla ran unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14, 2012, and was unchallenged in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
- See also: Florida State Senate elections, 2010
| Florida State Senate, District 36 |
2010 General election results
|Miguel Diaz de la Portilla (R)||58,138||99.94%|
|Luisa Artiles (Write-in)||31||0.05%|
|Alberto E. Fortes (Write-in)||6||0.01%|
Portilla defeated Julio Robaina and J. Nillo in the August 24 primary.
|Florida State Senate, District 36 - Republican Primary (2010)|
|Miguel Diaz de la Portilla||12,167|
Comprehensive donor information for Diaz de la Portilla is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Diaz de la Portilla raised a total of $888,005 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 24, 2013.
|Miguel Diaz de la Portilla's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Florida State Senate, District 40||$237,804|
|2010||Florida State Senate, District 36||$650,201|
|Grand Total Raised||$888,005|
2012Diaz de la Portilla won re-election to the Florida State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Diaz de la Portilla raised a total of $237,804.
|Florida State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Miguel Diaz de la Portilla's campaign in 2012|
|Hospital Corp of America||$2,000|
|Florida Police Benevolent Association||$1,500|
|Farmer Sr, Gary M||$1,000|
|Bates, H Scott||$1,000|
|Florida State Correctional Officers||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$237,804|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Diaz de la Portilla won election to the Florida State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Diaz de la Portilla raised a total of $650,201.
|Florida State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Miguel Diaz de la Portilla's campaign in 2010|
|Diaz De La Portilla, Miguel A||$22,800|
|Diaz De La Portilla, Miguel||$18,700|
|Hospital Corp of America||$4,000|
|Florida Chamber of Commerce||$2,500|
|Associated Builders & Contractors of Florida||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$650,201|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Portilla and his wife, Mari, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Miguel + Diaz + Portilla + Florida + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Florida State Legislature
- Florida state legislative districts
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010
- Miguel Diaz de la portilla campaign website, "Issues," November 2, 2010
- Florida Dvision of Elections, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," accessed June 23, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed April 15, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections, "Official Primary Results," August 14, 2012
- Florida Department of Elections, "November 2, 2010, Election Results," November 2, 2010
- followthemoney.org, "Diaz de la Portilla, Miguel," accessed May 24, 2013
Rene Garcia (R)
|Florida Senate District 40
| Succeeded by|
Alex Diaz de la Portilla
|Florida Senate District 36
| Succeeded by|