|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 26B|
|2011 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Birthday||November 9, 1955|
|Profession||Assistant Professor, Business Admin.|
Benson earned his M.B.A. from Eastern University. His professional experience includes working as an assistant professor of Business Administration at Crossroads College.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Benson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Labor, Workplace and Regulated Industries|
|• State Government Finance and Veterans Affairs|
|• Transportation Finance|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Benson served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Health and Human Services Reform|
|• Higher Education Policy and Finance|
|• State Government Finance, Vice-chair|
|• Transportation Policy and Finance|
Benson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Budget, Economic Development, And Jobs
- Excerpt: "Mike believes in and will advocate supply-side economics, a major component of the Reagan revolution."
- Excerpt: "Mike believes that there must be more local control and greater parent involvement in policy formation and curriculum choice. He believes that teachers cannot be called to be substitute parents and parents must be involved in their children’s education."
Environment And Energy
- Excerpt: "We need to be vigilant to make sure our environmental research and legislation continues to lead the country but without being a drag on the economic prosperity of all Minnesotans."
- Excerpt: "We need to work with and give incentive to all medical providers to duplicate the efforts of our world-class medical institutions, like Mayo Clinic, that are leading the way to reduce costs by digitizing records, paying physicians by salary rather than by procedures, and always putting the patient’s best interest first."
- Excerpt: "Mike understands how managing the farm has changed. He will work to reduce the taxes, permits, and fees that eat away farm families’ earnings and their ability invest in their future."
Benson is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House, representing Minnesota's 1st District. Benson is seeking the Republican nomination in the primary. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
Benson won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 26B. He was unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14 and defeated Pat Stallman (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 26B, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Mike Benson Incumbent||57.2%||12,427|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 30B (2010)|
|Andy Welti (DFL)||8,802||47.55%|
|Mike Benson (R)||9,692||52.36%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Benson raised $24,110 in contributions.
His three largest contributors were:
|Minnesota Republican Party||$2,150|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score." 
Benson and his wife, Susan, have four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Benson + Minnesota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mike Benson: Health care system can be reformed without Obamacare - Post-Bulletin
- Add another name to the list of legislative retirements - Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Minnesota docs cool to new cholesterol guidelines - MinnPost.com
- Dayton backs insurers on discontinued plans - Politics in Minnesota
- Thanks to plastic remanufactured into popular products, being green can be chic - Peoria Journal Star
- Help Find Jesse Ross, Taylor Opel And Other Missing People - Huffington Post
- 235 People in the ASC Industry to Know - Becker's ASC Review
- 233 People in the ASC Industry to Know - PR Web (press release)
- Alfred Wright Missing: Mom Confirms Clothes Found In Search For Texas Family ... - Huffington Post
- David Amaya Barrick, Chicago Man, To Reunite With Mother 34 Years After ... - Huffington Post
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- United States House of Representatives
- Minnesota's 1st congressional district elections, 2014
- Minnesota's 1st congressional district
- Office website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Campaign website
- ↑ "benson4rep," Official Campaign Website
- ↑ Nu Journal, "Hagedorn to announce run for 1st District today", accessed September 4, 2013
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 18, 2012
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ Minnesota Secretary of State – 2010 General Election Results
- ↑ 2010 contributions
- ↑ Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed September 27, 2013
- ↑ Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed September 27, 2013
- ↑ Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed September 27, 2013
- ↑ Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed September 27, 2013
Patti Fritz (DFL)
|Minnesota State House District 26B
| Succeeded by|
Andy Welti (DFL)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 30B
| Succeeded by|
David Fitzsimmons (R)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |