|South Carolina House of Representatives District 17|
|March 12, 2013 - Present|
|November 10, 2014|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||February 21, 2013|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of South Carolina, 1974|
|Birthday||June 9, 1952|
|Place of birth||Columbia, SC|
Burns earned a B.S. from the University of South Carolina in 1974. He is a businessman.
Elections for the office of South Carolina House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on June 10, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 30, 2014. Incumbent Mike Burns will face Joshua Cook in the Republican primary.
Burns won a special election for South Carolina House of Representatives District 17. The seat was vacant following Tom Corbin's (R) resignation on November 12, 2012, after he won election to both the House and the state Senate on November 6. Burns faced Roy Harmon, Tom Kolarik, Chris Sullivan and Randall Young in the Republican primary on January 11, 2013. Burns missed winning outright by one vote and went to a runoff with Chris Sullivan, which Burns won. Since no write-in Democrat filed to run by February 21, Burns was declared the winner on March 12.
|South Carolina House of Representatives, District 17, Special Election, 2013|
|South Carolina House of Representatives, District 17 Runoff Republican Primary, 2013|
|South Carolina House of Representatives, District 17 Republican Primary, 2013|
Burns and his wife, Anne Marie Park, have four children, Matthew, Kristin, Rhett and Katherine.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Burns + South + Carolina + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Carolina Legislature Online, "Representative James Mikell "Mike" Burns," accessed September 10, 2013
- South Carolina State Election Commission, "2014 Election Information," accessed March 31, 2014
- The Travelers Rest Tribune, "Upstate businessman to run for recently vacated S.C. House District 17 seat," November 14, 2012
- Taylors-Wade Hampton Patch, "Businessman Announces Bid For Vacated S.C. House Seat," November 15, 2012
- Travelers Rest Tribune, "Burns wins S.C. House District 17 Republican runoff," February 5, 2013
- GreenvilleOnline.com, "Burns to fill House District 17 seat," March 12, 2013
- scvotes.org, "Official Republican primary results," accessed November 18, 2013
- scvotes.org, "Official Republican runoff results," accessed November 18, 2013
- scvotes.org, "Official special election results," accessed November 18, 2013
Tom Corbin (R)
|South Carolina House of Representatives District 17
| Succeeded by|
State of South Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller General | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |