|Mississippi Commissioner of Insurance|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 2007|
|Mississippi State Senate|
|Mississippi House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Mississippi State University (1966)|
|Birthday||January 6, 1944|
|Place of birth||Tupelo, Mississippi|
Chaney was born in Tupelo, Mississippi. He is married and has three children. Chaney served in the Mississippi House of Representatives from 1993 to 1999, and in the Mississippi State Senate from 2000-2008. He was elected as Insurance Commissioner in 2007.
Chaney is a member of the Rotary Club and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- BS, Business/Finance, Mississippi State University, 1966
Mississippi Insurance Commissioner 2007-present
In his current position as insurance commissioner, Chaney executes all laws related to insurance companies, corporations, associations and fraternal orders, their agents and adjusters. In addition he also serves as State Fire Marshal and administers the Mississippi Fire Prevention Code.
|Mississippi Commissioner of Insurance, 2011|
|Republican||Mike Chaney Incumbent||62%||538,008|
|Reform||Barbara Dale Washer||3.4%||29,200|
|Mississippi Commissioner of Insurance (2007)|
|Mike Chaney (R)||414,718||56.50%|
|Gary Anderson (D)||319,287||43.50%|
Comprehensive donor information for Chaney is available dating back to 1999. Based on available campaign finance records, Chaney raised a total of $1,493,478 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 17, 2013.
=2007 and 2011
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Mike Chaney's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Mike Chaney's Campaign Contributions|
Mississippi Insurance Commissioner
Mississippi Insurance Commissioner
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$696,185 (Dem)||$17,656 (Dem)|
|Top 5 contributors||Mississippi Republican Party||$336,000||Mississippi Republican Party||$53,500|
|Blank||$39,149||Mississippi Physicians Association||$14,500|
|Mississippi Manufactured Housing Association||$20,679||Johnny Morgan||$12,000|
|Mississippi Medical Association||$11,000||Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz||$10,000|
|Michael Chaney||$10,000||Bancorp South||$6,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Chaney + Mississippi + Insurance"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- FEMA Fights Mississippi Suit Against Flood Insurance Hikes - Insurance Journal
- More Mississippi Media Outlets Try To Push Obamacare - Yall Politics
- Louisiana supports Mississippi in flood insurance lawsuit - NOLA.com
- Affordable Care Act: A tale of two systems - Jackson Clarion Ledger
- Miss. Says Halting Flood Insurance Hikes Would Benefit FEMA - Law360 (subscription)
- FEMA Seeks Dismissal of Mississippi Suit to Block Flood Insurance Rate Hikes - Insurance Journal
- Gov. Bryant's mulishness costing state - Picayune Item
- Panelists detail Affordable Care Act at public forum - Natchez Democrat
- Chaney: No big impact from canceled policies - WTVA
- MID Commissioner Mike Chaney's decision to allow early insurance renewals ... - Yall Politics
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Mississippi Department of Insurance - Commissioner Chaney
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 1999
- ↑ Project Vote Smart, "Mike Chaney," retrieved May 7, 2011
- ↑ Mitt Romney for President, "Mitt Romney Announces Support of Mississippi Lt. Governor Reeves and Other Leaders," January 20, 2012
- ↑ Mississippi Secretary of State, "November 2007 General Election Results," accessed March 19, 2011
- ↑ Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Mike Chaney," accessed July 17, 2013
- ↑ Follow the Money.org
|Mississippi Commissioner of Insurance
| Succeeded by|