|Michigan Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|May 18, 2005 - Present|
|Years in position||8|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||May 18, 2005|
|Appointed by||Michigan State Board of Education|
Flanagan served for 5 years as the superintendent of the Farmington/Farmington Hills School District. Following this, he served for seven years as the superintendent of the Wayne Regional Educational Service Agency. He is a past chair of the Education Alliance of Michigan as well as a past president of the National County of Superintendents Association.
Michigan Superintendent of Public Instruction 2995 - present)
Flanagan was appointed to this position in 2005. In March 2012, Flanagan's contract was extended to May 1, 2015. This came on the heels of a 5-3 vote by the state board of education. During his time in office, Michigan has adopted college preparatory curriculum, requiring all high school students to take the ACT exams. He also has lead the board of education in creating rising standards on state standardized tests.
Flangan and his wife, Anna, have three children and four grandchildren.
Michigan Department of Education
608 W. Allegan Street
P.O. Box 30008
Lansing, MI 48909
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + Flanagan + Michigan + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan weighs ?read-or-flunk? law for 3rd graders - Bridge Michigan
- Education Achievement Authority fires back at critics over enrollment numbers ... - MLive.com
- EAA expansion likely to happen despite opposition from Democrats in legislature - MLive.com
- State education officials recommend sticking with Smarter Balanced exam - Detroit Free Press
- Despite Fewer Students, Michigan School Funding Going Up, Up, Up - Michigan Capitol Confidential
- Michigan school accountability system called 'strong' in report advising ... - MLive.com
- MILAN: Official school student count higher than budgeted - Heritage Newspapers
- Certification exam changes threaten education students - Eastern Echo
- School technology grant awarded to Genesee ISD after controversy surrounds ... - The Flint Journal - MLive.com
- Michigan would-be teachers' scores on tougher math, writing tests take a dive - Detroit Free Press
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Michigan Department of Education - Superintendent Michael Flanagan
- Project Vote Smart Biography
- Follow Flanagan on Twitter
|Michigan Superintendent of Public Instruction
| Succeeded by|