|Iowa State Senate District 8|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||30|
|Majority Leader, Iowa State Senate,|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Iowa House of Representatives|
|1982 - 1984|
|Date of birth||January 29, 1950|
|Place of birth||Council Bluffs, IA|
Gronstal serves as Senate Majority Leader.
Gronstal earned his B.A. from Antioch College.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Gronstal served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Rules and Administration, Chair|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gronstal served on this committee:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Rules and Administration, Chair|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Gronstal served on these committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Labor and Business Relations|
|• Rules and Administration|
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Gronstal ran for re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. Due to redistricting, he ran in district 8. Gronstal ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 5, 2012, and defeated Al Ringgenberg in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa State Senate, District 8, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Michael Gronstal Incumbent||55.3%||12,632|
On November 4, 2008, Gronstal was re-elected to the 50th District Seat in the Iowa State Senate, defeating Mark A. Brandenburg (R). Gronstal raised $690,121 for his campaign, while Brandenburg raised $12,224.
|Iowa State Senate, District 50 (2008)|
|Michael Gronstal (D)||13,375|
|Mark A. Brandenburg (R)||9,740|
Comprehensive donor information for Gronstal is available dating back to 1998. Based on available campaign finance records, Gronstal raised a total of $3,833,884 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Michael Gronstal's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State Senate, District 8||$1,250,488|
|2010||Iowa State Senate, District 50||$533,995|
|2008||Iowa State Senate, District 50||$690,121|
|2006||Iowa State Senate, District 50||$554,216|
|2004||Iowa State Senate, District 50||$406,211|
|2000||Iowa State Senate, District 42||$292,293|
|1998||Iowa State Senate, District 42||$106,560|
|Grand Total Raised||$3,833,884|
2012Gronstal won re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Gronstal raised a total of $1,250,488.
|Iowa State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Michael Gronstal's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Democratic Party||$196,129|
|Iowa Healthcare Association||$41,000|
|Iowa Association Of Realtors||$23,500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$1,250,488|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2008 Gronstal collected $690,121 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Iowa State Education Association||$151,250|
|Service Employees International Union||$25,000|
|Iowa Democratic Party||$21,881|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on "their records on constitutional principles and civil liberties."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key conservative issues."
- Legislators are scored on their votes with or against SC's official position.
Gronstal and his wife, Connie Meisenbach, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Michael + Gronstal + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Profile from the Iowa State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2000, 1998
- Michael Gronstal on Facebook
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "2008 Official election results," accessed April 7, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Money Raised by Iowa Candidates in 2008," accessed April 7, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Gronstal, Michael," accessed September 19, 2013
- Follow The Money, "2008 Campaign Contributions," accessed April 8, 2014
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 2, 2014
Mary Jo Wilhelm (D)
|Iowa State Senate District 8
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa State Senate District 50
| Succeeded by|
Pam Jochum (D)
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |