|Alabama House of Representatives, District 31|
|January 30, 2014 - Present|
|November 5, 2018|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||January 28, 2014|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
|Bachelor's||Troy State University|
Holmes earned his B.S. from Troy State University in Physical Sciences. Holmes' professional experience includes working in the agribusiness industry, and as a salesman, timber farmer, business owner and CEO.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Holmes served on the following committees:
|Alabama Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Boards, Agencies and Commissions, Vice chair|
|• Ways and Means General Fund|
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Incumbent Mike Holmes was unopposed in the Republican primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
2014 special election
Holmes won election in the special election for Alabama House of Representatives District 31. The seat was vacant following Charles Barrett Mask's (R) resignation to work as the new chief executive officer of the Alabama Association of Realtors. Holmes faced Jimmy Collier, Michael Griggs and Frank Bertarelli in the December 3, 2013 Republican primary. Since no candidate gained more than fifty percent of the votes, the top two vote-getters - Holmes and Collier - met in a runoff on February 4, which Holmes won. As no Democrat filed to run, Holmes was declared the winner.
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of May 2015, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Mike + Holmes + Alabama + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Facebook.com, "About Mike Holmes for State House - District 31," accessed February 9, 2014
- Mike Holmes for State House 31, "Common Sense Conservative Leadership," accessed February 9, 2014
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- therepublic.com, "Special election timeline announced for vacant Ala. House District 31 seat," October 1, 2013
- seattlepi.com, "4 running as Republicans for Alabama House seat," October 11, 2013
- al.com, "Mike Holmes, Jimmy Collier qualify for Republican runoff in Alabama House District 31," December 3, 2013
- al.com, "Citing inclement weather forecast, governor delays special election set for Mobile House seat," January 27, 2014
- al.com, "Mike Holmes defeats Jimmy Collier in special election in Alabama House District 31," February 4, 2014
Charles Barrett Mask (R)
|Alabama House District 31
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|